DIY - fuel/trunk release cable.

Tical176Killa

Reaction score
As title says replacement and install of fuel/trunk cable. My fuel release wasn't working n trunk rarely opened by push/pulling hand lever and after 3-4yrs i decided to do something about it..
Done on a 01 coupe 02 should be the same and four doors also just need to remove more panels!!

Tools needed:
Phillips head screwdriver
Flathead screwdriver
Part #7880-S84-A01 fuel/trunk release cable
10mm, 12mm & 19mm socket & wrench
1-2hrs of free time...:run:

Step 1:
Remove driver side floor panels the one next to seat and hood release lever
Pop them out using hands little to no pressure needed!!

Step 2:
Fuel/trunk cover has two bolts holding it in 1 on the side and 1 under the lock cap..
Mine didnt have those.. I wonder why?:shrug: then just push lever down and flip cover forward then slide to the right and it should come out..
Step:3
remove fuel/trunk lever (1) 10mm bolt holding it in place

Step 4:
Remove fuel/trunk cable from lever, remove from U shaped clip then just twist cable to remove.

Wtf!! Reason why i had bolts missing previous owner messed with it..

Step 5:
Remove rear seats & driver side(left) rear panel..
Five screws/bolts in total
(2)12mm and (1)10mm for rear seats
Once seats are out remove panel between seat and rear panel.. Pops out by raising rear first.
unscrew the final (2) 10mm holding side panel top two circles on pic ..the other two circles are clips holding carpet remove also..

Unscrew driver side seat belt (1) 19mm bolt

Fold carpet to side and remove cable ...

Step 6:
Remove all trunk linings or whatever there called and those plastic pocket things
Circled items must be unswered first (by hand) and pockets are removed by lifting upwards

Step 7:
Turn fuel spring a quarter turn and remove(from inside trunk)

Step 8:
Unscrew the (2) bolts on trunk release

Then just unclip from U clip & remove trunk cable

Then just remove cable from the trunk and install the new fuel/trunk release cable Part #7880-S84-A01 in reverse order of steps and your done.. Total cost $33 and a few hours:happy160:

Last edited:

Ix3U

Reaction score
Nice write up! My releases have been feeling more and more sloppy so I might go ahead and do this.

Tical176Killa

Reaction score
Nice write up! My releases have been feeling more and more sloppy so I might go ahead and do this.

Yea thanks thats how my trunk release felt when it used to work its a quick repair that most ppl just ignore like i did lol took longer doing the diy write up then the actual work haha

Ix3U

Reaction score
Yea thanks thats how my trunk release felt when it used to work its a quick repair that most ppl just ignore like i did lol took longer doing the diy write up then the actual work haha

It is tuff to just bite the bullet and do it... My gas lid works fine and my trunk popper on my keys still works so I've just kind ignored it. However, my next project is going to be a center light bar delete, so the key hole for the trunk will be gone, so before I do that would be the perfect time to make sure getting into my trunk works :waytogo:

Tical176Killa

Reaction score
Yea i know took me years to finally do this... Haha
If you can pop your trunk with the key remote button then doing the bar delete isn't gunna matter this is only for those who cant pop fuel lid &/or trunk using the hand lever..
But yet again i couldnt open my trunk with the key remote button once my car was turned on i had to turn it off then push button or remove key and stick it in the trunk when the remote decides not to pop trunk lol..a real inconvenience..

Last edited:

Ix3U

Reaction score
Yea i know took me years to finally do this... Haha
If you can pop your trunk with the key remote button then doing the bar delete isn't gunna matter this is only for those who cant pop fuel lid &/or trunk using the hand lever..
But yet again i couldnt open my trunk with the key remote button once my car was turned on i had to turn it off then push button or remove key and stick it in the trunk when the remote decides not to pop trunk lol..a real inconvenience..

True. But you never know with electronics. Could work fine, then bam! Nothing. The reason it wouldn't let you open it with the car on is Cos it thinks you're driving down the road. Or at least mine does. It has the green key light in the bezel and basically doesn't let any of the fob stuff operate, Even with the keys pulled out, it doesn't let me do anything with the fob until I'm out of the car.

Tical176Killa

Reaction score
So that's the reason it doesn't let me.. Must be that immobilizer blocking the signal when the key is in there..
Thats was another reason why i did this always good to have a physical way to opening the trunk

Last edited:
Back