DIY Trunk Light LED Strips

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trunk light output comparison video between stock, led bulb and led strips.

led bulb: T10 20 SMD led
led strips: 2 x 15 5050 SMD LED strip
(Can be purchased on my FS post)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si_Uk_yfDNE

The trunk light is white and not blue. The led strip used are 6K color so it does have a tint of blue to it. In real life it is much more white than blue. My camera does a poor job at capturing the correct light color.

Last edited:

Mikey

Reaction score
Great write up, as usual. Just out of curiosity, did you buy the strips online or can they be found in-store? I imagine both but quality is probably going to be an issue, lol.

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can purchase similar led strips from autozone, pepboys, walmart etc etc.

Look for 5050 SMD Chip led strip and not 3528 SMD chip.

led-5050-vs-3528.jpg

http://www.flexfireleds.com/pages/Comparison-between-3528-LEDs-and-5050-LEDs.html

You can try COB led strip as well or change them to CCFL.

Last edited:

DizzyP

Reaction score
I went with it since I was not happy with the lack of trunk light. One big box in there and it blocks out all the light. Easy install.

Installed a three foot strip of white LEDS in the trunk. Had em in the garage, new in package, for awhile and decided to direct connect to original trunk light and zip tie them down also used a bit of electrical tape around center of the trunk but will prob go back and zip tie it proppa. The lights were originally planned to go on a remote control plane, but that's another hobby...another story.

The pics are deceiving, it makes my trunk WAY brighter and much less chance of a big box blocking out light. They are so bright I am considering going back and routing them in the frame so only light comes out of the frame holes. This will prevent them from getting torn out by something rubbing against them.

Before
ha8a8yjy.jpg

After
y2y2yhyd.jpg

LEDS
They are 2x3mm or so LEDS.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE HAMILTONS, BAYBAY!
y8uruty9.jpg

Frame holes
adedyped.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use the exact same led strip to light up your gauge cluster.

eclipse_led_dash-3.jpg

DizzyP

Reaction score
Nice. I had a multi color LED strip in the instrument cluster but just in around the inside edge of the clear plastic. It came with a remote and I was considering hooking it up to my AT so I know when I am not in forward gear except D4, different colors for each forward shift position except D4 which would be no lights. This help to keep from accidentally dropping to neutral. This is the closest I will get to MT with controlling the shift. The lights didn't work out for brightness during the day since they reflect off black surface but I will check out you way. Got any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back