DIY: Voltmeter

champaned_out

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
well, there should be no reason why you should look at the volt gauges while driving. you can tell if your battery is about to die which your headlights will flicker. that's when you should start noticing the volt gauge. the main reason why i put it under there is because the double side tape doesn't work on the pillar. LOL. plus, i didn't want to make a hole for the screw. to where i mount it, i just took the original screw from the dash. which there's 2 screws under there. i just took one screw off and just added the pod to that screw. that's it! if you want a closer look, let me know so i can take a picture of it.

if its possible for more pics that would help alot :)
im definatly more interested in your mount location than the A pillar or gauge pod
where'd you get the single pod holder?

du3ce

Reaction score
is it safe to run the gauges without a fuse? and does anyone know how i would hook up a rpm gauge?

dynasty

Reaction score
the instructions i received from the volt gauge didn't say anything about a fuse. if it did, it should of came with one. but i'll try to take some pictures tomorrow after work.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
imo you should always fuse things. an in-line fuse holder is like $2, just solder it into place.

du3ce

Reaction score
ok i got my rpm and volt gauge today, it comes with 3 wires, red black and green, which one did u connect the red and green wire to?

champaned_out

Reaction score
alright so if i mount my gauge under the radio like jdm_dynasty.. i can splice the red wire to the cig lighter, but what do i do with ground wire comming from my volt gauge? do i find a place to ground it to the chasis or do i actually splice this wire to another wire?

Last edited:

champaned_out

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
to where i mount it, i just took the original screw from the dash. which there's 2 screws under there. i just took one screw off and just added the pod to that screw. that's it! if you want a closer look, let me know so i can take a picture of it.

could i use a single pod like this one?
and does it hold well with only one screw mounted to it?
01_1_sbol.jpg

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
itd be better to actually ground the ground wire to the chassis. the cluster pods do block a couple lights, one is the seatbelt light, and one is the CEL. you can see them both tho, like the CEL is easy to see if it comes on, youll see the corner of it. but all in all, it doesnt block too much stuff, and its not too much in the way.

Jeffro

Reaction score
du3ce said:
so which fuse is the fuel pump?

The one labeled "fuel pump" ;) I haven't been in my fuse box lately, but I'm sure it's labeled. You can always test them with a voltmeter... that's what I would do... OR, there is one that comes on with your stereo when the ignition is on... I'm not absolutely positive, but I think there is a red power wire and a yellow wire (in an aftermarket harness) and one (red?) is always on, while the other (yellow?) is only on with the ignition. If you connect to an aftermarket harness, you don't risk messing up anything "permanently" on your car. Also, the cigarette lighter only comes on when the car is on, so that would work to, and it's not that long of a distance to get to! just a thought...

Back