Do I keep the laptop.. Ethics question

VitoHGrind

Reaction score
So, today's the last day of my internship. Midway through I changed groups, but I kept the laptop from my original group. I called up my original boss and asked him what he wanted me to do with the laptop, meaning bring it back to him and his group, or leave it with the guys I'm with now. First he said bring it back, then he said actually he doesn't have any use for it and that the model's old enough (maybe a yr) that it doesn't matter. Then he said that I can talk it over with my new boss and we can decide the fate of the laptop from there, basically to say that taking it with me when I leave is an option. I'm a mechanical engineer for a computer manufacturer (won't say who) so there's a ton of laptops sitting around and thats all we do is work on, take apart, and design stuff for the laptops. Also, I know there have been other interns that got laptops (brand new, first gen, hot off the presses laptops) when they left.

So the question is, do I take the laptop w/ me or do I leave it?

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I'd go with what he told you, talk it over with the new boss and let him decide.

Otherwise you'd risk ruining a lot of work at an internship, and the possibility of a good job reference if they somehow found out you took it and it came back to bit you in the ***.

Quicksilvercord

Reaction score
I'd go with what he told you, talk it over with the new boss and let him decide.

Otherwise you'd risk ruining a lot of work at an internship, and the possibility of a good job reference if they somehow found out you took it and it came back to bit you in the ***.

Agreed

VitoHGrind

Reaction score
No, I definitely think I should talk it over with my current boss. But with the fact that he originally said bring it back and expressed some timidness on even suggesting that I might be able to take it with me, should I just not even go the route of talking to my current boss and just take it back?

turboputz

Reaction score
One thing is for sure: You need to bring the issue to the attention of your current boss. You want to keep everything legit and above the board. Sure it would probably never come up, but that's not the point. You have everything to lose in terms of your reputation, references, etc., and only a laptop to gain .

I hear you saying you're not comfortable broaching the subject with the new boss. Keep it really simple and to the point and he's not going to be offended.

"I heard past interns have been allowed to keep the laptops they work on, would that be possible for me?

That's it. If he says no don't look disappointed because then you look needy.
Best advice keep it short and sweet, and move on to talking about how you've enjoyed the experience, learned so much, yadda yadda.

VitoHGrind

Reaction score
^^ I mean.. it could be Toshiba, they make computers too, right? :)

Anyhoo, thanks turbo, thats a really professional, short and simple way to approach it. I talked with my boss about it and he pushed the decision back on my previous boss, since he was the one that gave me the laptop originally. However, I wasn't able to talk it over with him because he's on vacation, so I left it in the lab with a note denoting that it was mine. O well..nothing lost nothing gained.

Maybe I'll slyly bring it up tomorrow when he comes to get the desk he let me borrow lol.. cuz I am a little needy haha

Back