Dome light will not power off

sajin

Reaction score
I decided to install some LED strips where your feet go. I tapped into the light for the dome so the LED strips would light up when the door opens and gradually dim when you close the door and unlock/lock the car. The location where I tapped into was passenger side interior/courtesy plug. The first strip I installed work flawless. I got a bit cold and turned the car on before I started to install the second strip for the driver side. I ran the wire, and like an idiot, I cut the wire to shorten the extra slack with the car on and door open (strip/dome light on). The lights flickered when I made the cut and thought nothing of it. Finished installing the second LED strip and it was beautiful!

When I closed my doors, the lights never turned off... I even turned off my car and locked it and the lights would still stay on (LED strips + dome). I figured it was from when I shorted the connection. I checked the fuses on passenger side and under the hood. All were fine. Using a voltmeter on the LED strips, they are receiving full 12 [V] when they should be receiving 0. I took off the strips and the problem still persisted with the dome light. Did some troubleshooting and after pulling out the 40 [A] fuse labeled 'BACK UP. ACC" under the hood, the dome light now is only receiving ~5 [V] ALWAYS when left in the middle on the slider, aka controlled by the dimmer circuit or whatever it is controlled by. It receives 12 [V] when set to on or off.

My thoughts are that the problem lies with whatever controls the dimmer function for the dome. I have no idea how to check the fuse for the dimmer because there is no fuse for the dimmer in the fuse box under the hood, it's an empty slot with no slits to enter a fuse but the box says it has a 7.5 [A] one. Anyone have any help or ideas as to what my problem is and how to fix it?

The vehicle is a 2001 Accord V6.

Last edited:

FNCONE

Reaction score
When I Had Issues With my dimmer it was the passenger multiplex that needed to be replaced. I also installed an LED on the Dome light and shorted it out by pushing it in to hard (what holds the bulb in the dome light are as soft as a paper clip) I replaced the fuse and it wouldn't shut off after that or dim.
Let me know if your trunk pops open with the FOB, if it doesn't.... start looking for the multiplex on the passengers side (blue box in fuse box) you must get the SAME part number
:eusa_doh:

sajin

Reaction score
I can open the trunk with the remote just fine. Does that mean the passenger MCU is fine?

FNCONE

Reaction score
I can open the trunk with the remote just fine. Does that mean the passenger MCU is fine?

not really but u said yours didn't blow the fuse maybe your multiplexer (the blue box i was telling you about) didn't get as much damage as mine. Mine blew the fuse and the trunk stopped working when i opened it up it had a black burned spot from the short. After this problem i added an inline fuse to the dome light. Those multiplexers are expensive and i rarely find them in the junk yard, V6 gets stripped fast where i go.

sajin

Reaction score
Hmmmm well lucky for me, I checked e-bay and it's half off right now (25 bucks) and the store is located in my city so I may just go pick one up tomorrow. The listing had my EXACT model of the one I currently have installed. Hopefully that will solve my problem. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after.

FNCONE

Reaction score
Hmmmm well lucky for me, I checked e-bay and it's half off right now (25 bucks) and the store is located in my city so I may just go pick one up tomorrow. The listing had my EXACT model of the one I currently have installed. Hopefully that will solve my problem. I'll let you guys know how it turns out after.

Hopefully, remember don't work on circuits live. Good luck

sajin

Reaction score
Well, picked it up this morning and just finished replacing the faulty MCU. All works well again, even the LED strips! Thank you FNCONE for helping me determine the problem to be the MCU.

Last edited:

FNCONE

Reaction score
Well, picked it up this morning and just finished replacing the faulty MCU. All works well again, even the LED strips! Thank you FNCONE for helping me determine the problem to be the MCU.

You're welcome. got any pics of the LED strips and how it looks. I like this mod. I want to see how yours came out

Back