Door unlocking and opening help.

maximus2k

Reaction score
Have a couple of problems with my doors. I have a 1998 4 door sedan EX and the there are times that the keyless remote will work to unlock door but it usually won't work when its really cold. I can see the lock knob struggling to go up (goes up real slow) when the remote actually does work. Remote lights up red every time i push the unlock button and i can always get the trunk to open with no problems.

Second problem is the rear driver side door will not open from outside handle but I can open it from the inside door handle. What could be going on here?

kthung

Reaction score
Have a couple of problems with my doors. I have a 1998 4 door sedan EX and the there are times that the keyless remote will work to unlock door but it usually won't work when its really cold. I can see the lock knob struggling to go up (goes up real slow) when the remote actually does work. Remote lights up red every time i push the unlock button and i can always get the trunk to open with no problems.

Second problem is the rear driver side door will not open from outside handle but I can open it from the inside door handle. What could be going on here?

1st problem is most likely the power door actuators are worn. I have a similar problem with mine and placed an order for an ebay one Click Here

I haven't received it yet but I'll try and get a DIY up when I do.

Second problem, child safety look?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
opposite

child safety = not open inside

usually broken door handle, gotta look

maximus2k

Reaction score
1st problem is most likely the power door actuators are worn. I have a similar problem with mine and placed an order for an ebay one Click Here

I haven't received it yet but I'll try and get a DIY up when I do.

Second problem, child safety look?

Whoa. That ebay item is from Hong Kong. How do these compare to OEM actuators?

kthung

Reaction score
opposite

child safety = not open inside

usually broken door handle, gotta look

Ahh you're right, wasn't reading carefully.

Whoa. That ebay item is from Hong Kong. How do these compare to OEM actuators?

I don't know. For the price I'll bite the bullet, it's not something that will endanger my life if it fails. I'm having trouble finding new OEM actuators and with such a high failure rate for this part, I don't think a used part from a junkyard would be any better. I'll let you know how they work out.

EDIT: Found some here. Yeah... the OEM ones are listed at $57. I'll take the Hong Kong ones. I can buy 5 of them for the price of OEM.

Last edited:

Olddohc

Reaction score
Door lock actuator motors. Happened on my 2000. Replaced them for $30 each and problem solved. Gl

whitegourd

Reaction score
Anyone have a DIY on the door actuator replacement?

I recently replaced the actuator on my passenger rear. This video clip shows how to take the panel off, once the panel is off, there is a plastic covering that you'll need to peel back. From there, there are literally two screws that hold the actuator down.

How to remove the door panel

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Famous last words. :lawl:

Hope it fixes the problem. Mine don't work well in the cold either. But I only have two doors so it doesn't bother me that much, I'll probably wait until they're completely dead and then replace them.

Back