Driver side door stuck!

AZmike

Reaction score
Tonight I was able to get the latch open using the method detailed in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQbNaH1wpI

This morning I tried unsuccessfully with a set of picks, but once I made a similar wire tool to the one shown in the video I had the door open in a few minutes.

Now I just need to wait for the new parts to arrive.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
gj man. Very resourceful.

Take some pics of the problem part so we all can get a better understanding of the issue.

AZmike

Reaction score
The parts arrived and the door is back to working correctly.

For whoever else has this problem here are the parts you are likely to need:
1 Sedan driver's door latch: 72150-S84-A02 ~$91
Includes power lock actuator that you don't need)
2 Door panel clip: 91560-S84-A01 ~$2 each
However many you damage pulling off the panel with the door shut (3 for me)
3 Plastic latch protector: 72157-S84-A01 ~$2
I cut this part out of the way to allow better access to pick the latch
4 Outer door handle bushing: 72134-SM1-003 ~$2
You may damage this when removing the old latch

Part prices are from Curry Acura. They're not the lowest online, but there is no extra charge for shipping and handling so it was the lowest total cost for me.

I can include more detailed instructions to complete the repair if anyone is interested.

bronconite

Reaction score
Tonight I was able to get the latch open using the method detailed in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrQbNaH1wpI

This morning I tried unsuccessfully with a set of picks, but once I made a similar wire tool to the one shown in the video I had the door open in a few minutes.

Now I just need to wait for the new parts to arrive.

I'm working on this right now on a '99 coupe driver's door. In the video, in the very beginning, he says to remove one screw that holds in the plastic cover. I see the cover, but can't locate the screw. The only screw I see are the ones that attach the solenoids. Any advice?

bronconite

Reaction score
Ok, so I got my door open just now and decided I should post some things while they're still fresh in my mind.

I didn't remove the door panel to do this, I just peeled it back at the top.

I couldn't figure out how to get to the screw, talked about in the video, that holds on the white plastic cover, so I broke it off with a hammer and chisel. It's not needed, it's a guard to keep would be car thieves from being able to jimmy the door. I won't be replacing mine.

I removed the window track at the back of the door to give better access to the latch. It's only held in by one bolt. Remove the bolt and put the window up and it will come right out. The window will still go up and down.

I removed the solenoids, this also gives better access to the latch.

I also removed the inside door handle operating rod to give better access. I broke the purple clip that holds it on the latch, but the new latch has a new one on it.

In the video, the metal bar that you must slip your homemade tool behind, changes positions when the latch is locked and unlocked. You can see this by locking and unlocking your new latch. You can't see the bar when it's still in the door, but if you get some fingers on it, you can feel it move while working the lock with your other hand. This is how I figured out where to insert the tool. I found it was easier to get the tool positioned with the door in the locked position, then unlock it and pull on the tool.

This is what worked for me. I hope someone finds these tips useful. And thanks to the AZmike for all the info in this thread, it saved me alot of time.

Back