Driver Side Oil Leak

inivraml

Reaction score
Hey Guys wanted to see if I can get some Help from you Guys. First time posting but Ive been using the forum for 2 months to help with some issues.

I recently found some oil leaks on my driveway and decided to hunt it down searched what it could be and found that the passenger side leak came from the Vtec solenoid and the valve cover, found all the info to fix it on the forum and youtube, and just finished it this weekend. once I was done I tried getting rid of all the oil and gunk build up and happened to find another oil leak.

This leak is on the driver side of the engine I began to search for it and found that its on the bottom driverside but dont really know from where. I shows no sign of it starting from the top of the engine and traveling down seems it just originates at the bottom and its not from the oil pan either from what I can see because its just on that one side and its saturated above the oil pan.

I was searching the forums and none seems to have posted something about this yet looking to see if I can get any help.

Just recently bought this car used and trying to learn on the fly and doing all the work my self. I bought a 2000 Honda Accord EX 4cyl. manual with 156k miles.

Any info, link, PM, or step by steps I would really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

001Stunna

Reaction score
Clean it off and see if it reappears. It could've been remains of the valve gasket you replaced already that drizzled down.

If not on the driver side you've got the cam seal and balance shaft seal that are underneath the timing cover...or the oil dipstick oring.

inivraml

Reaction score
Yeah I Cleaned it off as much as i could and placed an old peice of plywood to see if it began to drip again and it reappered. How would I find out which of those is leaking. Thanks for the quick replie

001Stunna

Reaction score
Yeah I Cleaned it off as much as i could and placed an old peice of plywood to see if it began to drip again and it reappered. How would I find out which of those is leaking. Thanks for the quick replie

Take off the upper timing cover and have a look. But just see if it continues leaking first...

gsrteg

Reaction score
Just throwing out an idea, but you think it could possibly be the Camshaft Oil Seal, #24 below?

13s8401_e11.png

Last edited:

inivraml

Reaction score
would you guys be able to show me where and maybe a link on how to remove the upper timing cover ill start to search you tube if anything thank for the help guys

gsrteg

Reaction score
In order to get access to the Cam Oil Seal, you have to remove the Cam Gear off. Because the plastic cover #4 above in the chart is in between the cam and the cylinder head where the the oil seal is. But try to inspect that area, before you try pulling the Cam gear off; just to make sure its not leaking from there. Inspect the bottom portion of the driver side of the engine too, might be a leak around the oil pump or the dip stick holder. Maybe even leaking where the crank seal is. Inspect with a bright flashlight. Cover #3 should be easy to take off, in the diagram above. Just remove those bolts. But for Cover #1, I believe the Crankshaft Pulley is holding it down in place as well...

inivraml

Reaction score
Clean off engine.
Put in oil dye
Buy a blacklight on eBay
Use it when dark to pinpoint leaks.

Thank you guys for the tips I will probaby be doing this next weekend. The leak continued and its about the size of a tennis ball. Ill clean it off as much as I can what do you guys recommend to remove all the build up also do you guys recommend scrubbing off some of the build up and how. I will also buy the dye I think that would be the best option for me since I dont know what was done before I got the car. When I changed the solenoid gasket it turned out to be they never tighted up the bolts right the seal was brand new.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the tips I will probaby be doing this next weekend. The leak continued and its about the size of a tennis ball. Ill clean it off as much as I can what do you guys recommend to remove all the build up also do you guys recommend scrubbing off some of the build up and how. I will also buy the dye I think that would be the best option for me since I dont know what was done before I got the car. When I changed the solenoid gasket it turned out to be they never tighted up the bolts right the seal was brand new.

You can clean with brake cleaner...just do not spray too much of it on rubber hoses as i've noticed it tends to make them dry. If i have to i usually just put a cloth to cover any hose close by and then go crazy spraying lol

As for the dye, make sure you get dye meant to be mixed in engine oil.

Back