ECU Question

Reaction score
I have an Accord f23 right now with 132k on the motor 5spd manual transmission, but I found a JDM F20B motor for fairly cheap. Now my question is will my stock ECU be compatible with this motor? I doubt it but seeing as I already have it I might as well ask before I start spending money. Another question I have is rather than buying the stock ecu would it be easier for me to buy the hondata ecu? (s300?) Or the AEM ECU? or should I scrap the F20B all together and go with the H22-H23A swap? Just bouncing some Ideas around as of now let me know from experience or what you guys think thanks!

Erik123456789

Reaction score
ur stock ecu isnt really gonna work, your most likely gonna have to go obd1 to get it running right because if you try to use the stock ecu then its gonna throw a CEL and ***** at u for like a bagillion different reasons... and u dont necessarily have to get hondata s300 or aem (even though it would be a very nice thing to have).. u could just use a p28 off a 92-95 civic ex (or some other obd1 ecu) and get it chipped for it to run right.

S-spec

Reaction score
Don't try to run the F20B on the stock ECU...

The AEM is 100% useless for 99% of people. Basically, it is a decent ECU if you want one thing to control everything, and you have many things to control, i.e. extra injectors, boost pressure, water/meth injection, etc. They aren't the easiest to tune and the user interface is garbage.

The Hondata is a nice unit but is much too expensive compared to what is out there with similar, if not more option, i.e. An OEM chipped ECU (which you will need anyway to run Hondata S300) running eCtune or Neptune.

All you really need is a chipped ECU and some dyno time. Enjoy! They are great motors. (Just be sure you are getting the Manual version)

Reaction score
Thanks a lot you guys I really appreciate it :D, but I have one more question. I read on honda tech from some guy that f20B parts are interchangeable with h22 parts like manifolds cams etc with the exception of the short block. It kind of makes sense since the f20 is a destroked h22 but I searched and didn't find anything else on the topic. do any of you guys know if there's any truth to that or if it's b.s.

Reaction score
auto hey, then I'd have to do a manual to auto swap. sounds kinda like the opposite of what the stat quo wants to do lol

Reaction score
hahah yeah, I gotcha man I have a manual now. Buying an auto would be like taking steps backwards in terms of performance. Which IMO would defeat the purpose of doing the swap.

Back