Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor - Located Where?

Zelf24

Reaction score
Hey all,

So my 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe (230k miles) has thrown code P0116, which indicates the engine coolant temperature sensor giving trouble. This makes sense, because my car has begun having trouble starting when hot, and doesn't give as much of an issue when cold. From what I've seen online with other cars, it should be cheap enough, and easy enough to replace myself- the only problem is, where is it located on our cars? No amount of googling appears to help me.

Thanks!

CarbedUp

Reaction score
Near upper radiator hose.

Here:

KgSkt4i.jpg

LxHC2py.jpg

Last edited:

Zelf24

Reaction score
CarbedUp, is this easy enough to replace on one's own, or does it require special tools? The dealer quoted me $116 (parts + labor) to replace, so I figure this has to be a pretty simple swap. If so, could I ask you to explain the process?

Thank you in advance.

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
Drain the coolant so it doesn't spill. Unplug connu. Use appropriate tool to screw it off, not sure which size it is. Screw in new one with thread sealant to avoid leaking. Refill and bleed coolant. Plug in connector. Pretty easy job to do

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to drain any coolant out. Make sure the engine is cold. It should have an O-Ring so I wouldn’t put any Teflon tape or sealer on it.
When you take the old one out make sure the old O-Ring is not stuck in the manifold (double O-rings will leak like a sieve). Bolt the new one back in, do not over tighten it. You could burp the cooling system as a precaution but you should be fine.

I would get a OEM Honda sensor if you can.

Zelf24

Reaction score
Just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully swapped out the sensor last night, thanks to everyone's help. The car is now running like a top, and no more trouble codes!

Thank you all!!!

Pardie

Reaction score
When I replace engine coolant sensors on older vehicles, I always put some Teflon tape on the threads of the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zelf24

Reaction score
For what it's worth, I avoided putting any extraneous tape, etc on the new sensor, as the old sensor I removed didn't have any. The old sensor simply had an O-ring [as spacemonkee23 stated] and the replacement sensor had an O-ring as well. I installed the new sensor with new O-ring in place and have had no leakage problems whatsoever.

Back