Engine problem **help**

JayStuff

Reaction score
So when I turn on my car, if I dont give it gas, it will kill itself within a few seconds. If i give it gas it will stay on and after about 10 sec it wont kill itself at idle anymore. This happened before but stopped for a long time but just cam back today.. any idea?

Could it be a faulty spark plug? could my alternator have anything to do with it?

vtecaccord88

Reaction score
if the maf is fine check your Idle Air Control Valve...mine was messed up and did the same thing and I put in a new one and it fixed it

juicebox00

Reaction score
*edit. so check the Intake Manifold. should should be around there ish. big plug

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Wait...we have a MAF sensor??? I know my 99 LX doesn't.
JayStuff, i'd say start with checking things from airfilter and intake tube, clean TB with a rag and some TB/Carb Cleaner, clean IACV. Also any CEL come on or no?

If you want to check battery and alternator you can though even though i don't see how it'd cause that. But if you want all you need is a voltmeter. Car off should be 12.5-12.8 volts. When car running it should be around 13.4-14.4V. A fully discharged battery will have 11.8V or less when car is off and probably will not be able to start a car. If you want to check your alternator, start the car, let it run for a bit, then discconect battery. The car should remain on(don't leave it like this for a longggggg time though)...if it doesn't then your alternator isn't doing its job.
As for sparkplugs, again using a voltmeter you can test the resistance in the plug wires, and take out the plugs and check/regap them(0.39-0.40).

I'd stick with something like IACV being the issue though.

Last edited:

JayStuff

Reaction score
haha well it stopped doing it again.. its weird cause it happens super rarely and when it does, its usually one time and then goes away for a long time.

Reaction score
Battery might be going. I had something similar happen to me when I started my car once. Found out my distributor was bad. But, my symptoms also included knocking of the engine.
Take the sparkplugs out and see if they need to be replaced. Air, fuel, electricity, one of those isn't doin its thing. :driving:

Back