Engine Turning off While Driving

SeeGeeThree

Reaction score
My engine just turned off on the highway the other day, radio and A/C fans still worked but power steering was gone (obviously) and the car just slowly crept to a halt. The car started back up in about five minutes after a few tries. I've driven the car about 8 times since and it's done this three more times. One of these times it started right back up after coming to a stop, the rest took a couple minutes just like the first time. I haven't tried to start it back up while driving yet- I will try this next time it happens.

The problem is tough to diagnose because it occurs so intermittently. I'm not getting any codes and I've been driving with my diagnostics tool plugged in and recording the data, however the issue hasn't occurred while doing this. I can hear the fuel pump kick in every time I start the car, I want to listen for this next time it dies on me though.

Maybe related-
My heater hose blew last weekend, just a small slit but it spewed coolant everywhere and I had to get the car towed. I replaced the hose (~$19) and the install went swimmingly, no issues at all. The install did require removal of the distributor and cap, but I was careful to mark the positioning so that it was perfectly aligned when I reinstalled it. I drove the car about 50 miles before I ran into my current issue.

I've wiggled, unplugged, and reattached every wire or hose I touched while installing the heater hose, also took the dizzy cap off to make sure everything looked fine under there.

I've researched deep into this issue and the symptoms only point to a few potential issues, I'm not sold on any of them just yet. Hoping y'all could help me a little here.
Ignition switch- very well could be this, I tried the continuity test and it passed all. However, I did read that the ignition switch could pass the test and still be causing the issue
Main relay- It is getting warm out, but I haven't had any issues with starting the car except after the engine cuts out. Since I replaced my heater hose, I have been getting a slight squeal on start-up but I think that's related to when I cleaned the engine after everything was coated in coolant.
Ignitors/Ignition Control Module- I don't know too much about these, but from what I read these could cause my issue.
Distributor- When I removed this, there was a little bit of oil that spilled out from the engine, not sure if that's related to anything. I don't really think it's the dizzy, but it's really the only link between my heater hose install and my current issue.

Let me know what you guys think, any help is much appreciated. I do all my own work and any of the above parts would be easy fixes, I just need some insight on where to start so I'm not throwing money blindly.

Thanks.

Sino

Reaction score
This random stalling and inability to start it back up sounds like what my car did while my mom still owned it. Ignition switch was toast in my case.

SeeGeeThree

Reaction score
@James- Only 1 time out of 4 did it start right back up, the rest took between 2-5 minutes to start back up. Regarding the gauges, I can't remember, I was more concerned about getting to safety. I'll keep an eye out for this next time it happens

@Sino- judging from what I read on this forum and others, it's almost certainly the ignition switch. I guess I'll start there because it seems like a cheap & easy fix

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
@James- Only 1 time out of 4 did it start right back up, the rest took between 2-5 minutes to start back up. Regarding the gauges, I can't remember, I was more concerned about getting to safety. I'll keep an eye out for this next time it happens

@Sino- judging from what I read on this forum and others, it's almost certainly the ignition switch. I guess I'll start there because it seems like a cheap & easy fix

If the gauges go out, your diagnosis on the ignition switch would almost certainly be correct.

SoliderISS

Reaction score
Check your relays if you can, i had the same problem and found out my PGM-FI/main relay was done for and had to replace it

Last edited:

SoliderISS

Reaction score
Did you have other issues in addition to mine? Did you have any trouble starting the car?

My car would shut off while driving, then would start up right away or i have to wait 5 mins. to up 40 mins. before the car would start again. My car didnt should any error codes, and after the car would shut off, when i tried to start it, the engin light didnt light up with other dash lights and i couldnt hear fuel pump run. Found out my main relay was fried

Back