Extreme tire wear (only 7000 miles) (added pics)

turbo_911

Reaction score
Hello guys,

As you know I bought rims not to long ago (white 5Zigen's) and new tires along with them. The tires are General Exclaim UHP. I have Tein S-Tech springs on stock struts (though my front shocks are from 01 cl since mine started leaking and rear are still from accord). I did alignment after I put new rims to make sure no tire wear. Ok, now the problem, I drive to college (130 miles every day) and I've noticed extreme tire wear on my front left tire. The tires have tire wear indicator and in some places its like almost flat with tire thread. I would say it has like 40% of life left or so. Here's the thing, other 3 tires are still like new 90-95% of life left... I don't know what could cause this extreme tire wear on just only one tire?

Do you guys have any thoughts, suggestions?
Appreciate for the help. Thanks.

Front tire on left side (drivers side)
front.jpg

Outer
frontouter.jpg

Middle
frontmiddle.jpg

Rear Tire on left side (drivers side)
rear.jpg

Outer
rearouter.jpg

Middle
rearmiddle.jpg

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
Re: Extreme tire wear (only 7000 miles)

get your alignment checked out, thats the only thing that would cause the tire to wear quickly. unless you do one wheel peels all the time.

my guess would be that the camber isnt bad, but the toe might be out....that is, if the wear is flat across the tire.

turbo_911

Reaction score

get your alignment checked out, thats the only thing that would cause the tire to wear quickly. unless you do one wheel peels all the time.

my guess would be that the camber isnt bad, but the toe might be out....that is, if the wear is flat across the tire.

Thing is I did alignment around 2 months ago... but I will check with them again (BMW dealership did it)
And no I don't do peel outs... lol not a kid... :p

finch13

Reaction score

Can you post pics of the worn tire and a non-worn tire?

I just worked on a 98 Subaru Impreza that had extreme outer tire wear on the front right tire and a nasty vibration at 65 mph. Replaced the axle and it was ready to go.

While alignment is THEORETICALLY the only thing that could cause wear like that, don't overlook the things that maintain a wheels position while rotating: tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, suspension arm bushings, strut rod bushing, strut fork bushing, wheel bearing, etc.

Not 100% sure if that Subaru fix translates over to Hondas

turbo_911

Reaction score

Does your car have any history of frame damage?

No, it didn't had any frame damage, checked the carfax when I bought the car last year, has a clean title, also checked visually everything was untouched as frame wise.

And I've checked from rods, bushings to axle and everything is perfect. Also I wouldn't pass the alignment that I did 2 months ago if anything was wrong.

Also, what psi should I run in my 225/40/18 tires?

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

just cuz you got an alignment done recently, doesnt mean they did it, or did it right. theres only one reason that that tire would wear fast, and its because of alignment.

also, how are the ball joints on the side that the tire wears quicker?

everything brandon said, haha....

While alignment is THEORETICALLY the only thing that could cause wear like that, don't overlook the things that maintain a wheels position while rotating: tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, suspension arm bushings, strut rod bushing, strut fork bushing, wheel bearing, etc.

check them and make sure theres little to no movement.

turbo_911

Reaction score

ok, I will check everything bandon said again to make sure there is no to little movement and then if everything is fine I will head to BMW dealership to check alignment again

Also as I was wondering earlier, what should my tire pressure be?

Thanks again for the help guys

finch13

Reaction score

I don't like my sidewall to look droopy on the bottom, so I usually run high tire pressures. For example, my 225/40/18 Kumho's maxed out at 50psi, so I ran 45psi cold to account for up to 5psi expansion.

Wide, low profile tires usually have a pretty flat tread so I don't think running high pressure will cause the problems it does on normal tires (center wear or cupping).

Back