F23A1 and F23A4 engine questions

coronafamilia

Reaction score
I have a question i have been looking everywhere for an answer and hopefully you guys have one did the ULEV engine only come in the EX automatic or was it also used in the manual transmission?

Sino

Reaction score
According to hondaautomotiveparts.com from 2000 onwards a 5 speed transmission was available for UL engines (minus a few trim packages in 2002).

Sino

Reaction score
Makes me wonder if the transmission's any different from non ULEVs. My guess is probably not, they likely just found the right shift points in testing to minimize the emissions.

Edit: according to Alldata, the transmission model in a 2001 EX UL is the same as in my '99, P2A8.

Last edited:

coronafamilia

Reaction score
all I been able to find about the ULEV engine is that it came with the automatic transmission reason I ask is because a couple days ago I went to look at a 2002 accord EX 5 speed the owner said he had no compression in 2 of the cylinder and he believed it was the head gasket because the car turns over but doesnt fire do to no compression..

so my plan was since i have an F23A1 sitting in my garage I would yank that motor out and replace with my engine but to my surprise when i opened the hood all that green all over the valve cover jumped right at me. I didn't expect to see that engine in there.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
all I been able to find about the ULEV engine is that it came with the automatic transmission reason I ask is because a couple days ago I went to look at a 2002 accord EX 5 speed the owner said he had no compression in 2 of the cylinder and he believed it was the head gasket because the car turns over but doesnt fire do to no compression..

so my plan was since i have an F23A1 sitting in my garage I would yank that motor out and replace with my engine but to my surprise when i opened the hood all that green all over the valve cover jumped right at me. I didn't expect to see that engine in there.

The swap should be possible. Get a F23A1 ECU for an '01-'02 (2000 might also be fine)

coronafamilia

Reaction score
I have been looking for an answer to this well i ended up buying an automatic CG F23A4 with a blown head gasket and I have my old CG sitting in my garage car with is totaled but it has 5 speed F23A1.

so my question is if i were to pull engine out of wreck car along with 5 speed tranny would I be able to jus throw it in the other car along with drill holes for master cylinder and added clutch pedal and shift cables

I have seen people adding the ECU but is the ECU specific to engine or engine tranny combo and also the wire harness does that need to be swapped over as well hopefully you guys understand where i am going with this

thanks

james'99

Reaction score
Well, now thinking about it, I'm sure you want the most simple swap possible. Since the engine has to come out of both cars anyway, the easiest and most efficient swap will involve swapping over the harness and ECU. No need to mess with VTEC wiring, etc.

Back