Flashing check engine light

ejreams

Reaction score
It is still gurgling, I haven't checked that, good call.

I occasionally have a bit of a rough idle still.. I wonder if another coil pack is possibly on its last limb, or if its something else.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well, fixed the light, replaced the 2nd coil pack and the car is no longer dying.

However, it's still idling a little rough.
I was thinking maybe when I put my cai on, I pulled that line that is solid metal and replaced it with a shorter tube. Maybe I made an air pocket in the coolant?

Did coolant leak and you just put on another hose? If yes then yes air could've/did enter.
Does it idle rough only when cold? when hot? always? when in park or neutral? or also when in gear?

ejreams

Reaction score
Coolant poured out when I went to switch the hoses yes.

It is rough on start, cold especially, or for instance if I go somewhere and come out 20 minutes later the engine is still mildly warm, it will most likely do it then too.

If its after its been warmed up, in park, it will happen but if I rev it a few times there's a 70% chance it will settle.

If I cold start its almost inevitable, even if I let it warm up fully, it will do it for a little while. For instance I let my car warm up before I leave anywhere, it will do it, I'll drive (while driving it wont seem to do it). Then when I get to the first light or stop sign and stop it will do it while waiting at the light.

From there its just a roulette of whether or not it will do it from stop to stop.

ejreams

Reaction score
Is anyone a pro at doing coolant flushes?
Cause... There's no bleeder on these motors and I have no idea how to push air pockets out...

001Stunna

Reaction score
Is anyone a pro at doing coolant flushes?
Cause... There's no bleeder on these motors and I have no idea how to push air pockets out...

With the car cold and parked, open the radiator cap and fill the rad to the top. Do the same with the overflow bottle and fill it to the max line. Leave the rad cap off.

-Start the car and let it idle
-Turn the heater dial to HOT and turn the Fan off.
-Watch the coolant level on the rad neck and top off if it moves down at all.
-If you see air bubbles don't worry
-If you see the level rise a tad and spill out a bit don't worry(just clean it with water when you're done)
-Increase the idle to about 1500-2000rpm and keep it there(either have someone step on the pedal or stick a screwdriver/locking plier to hold the thorttle cable just a tad.
-Give both lower/upper hoses a squeeze frequently as the car is running
-Allow the car to run until no bubbles show and both radiator fans come on(should take about 10mins)
-Keep the rad topped up full ALL TIMES
-Once both fans come on put the rad cap back on and clean any spills with adequate amount of water. Especially if pets/animals live around.

*You can also take the cap off if the car is hot and turned off, BUT use a large enough towel to grab the cap as it WILL spew out coolant as it is under about 15psi pressure. The towel will catch the coolant and not your face/hand this way. Only do this if you know you can handle a hot towel/coolant on your hand(s)

Last edited:

ejreams

Reaction score
So, just turn it to hot, don't actually turn it on, correct?
How long should you rev to 1500 rpms for?

If you squeeze the hoses, won't fluid spill?

001Stunna

Reaction score
So, just turn it to hot, don't actually turn it on, correct?
How long should you rev to 1500 rpms for?

If you squeeze the hoses, won't fluid spill?

Turn the dial to hot. Keep the fan dial to 0(off) and A/C off. This way you're allowing coolant to pass through the heater core as well.

I'd say to do the process about 1-hour after you've turned off the car. The car isn't fully cold or fully hot. Use a towel still to remove that rad-cap but 99%guarantee nothing will spew out as the valve on the rad-cap will have already released the pressure into the overflow tank.

Keep the rpms at 1500-2000 until the both rad fans come on. Then let it go back to idle, make sure the rad is fully topped up and put the cap back on.

As you do this you may spill some fluid. As i mentioned...you can just use water from a hose to clean things up. To minimize spills you can wrap the towel around the rad's neck so it soaks the fluid.

Another way to do this without spilling fluid at all is to get a spill-free funnel such as
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...ee-funnel/_/N-25xj?itemIdentifier=291421_0_0_
you then fill the funnel to about half full and allow the radiator to take in whatever it needs as bubbles come out.

What i've used before to getting my spill-free funnel is used a regular funnel and wrapped electrical tape around its bottom enough so it makes a tight fit into the rad-neck. The only downside is when you're done and you lift the funnel off any excess will leak out so have a towel ready.

Last edited:

ejreams

Reaction score
Bumpp

So it has been quite some time and I'm still struggling with the issue of a rhythmic vibration in the dash as steering wheel. My power steering fluid is (was) a little low, and if I put my hand over the exhaust it's like someone is trying to hold in a cough. Like puff, puff, puff

Back