Front main seal removal...

slowrider87

Reaction score
I've been collecting parts to do an overhaul on my F23, based mainly on what i can also do while doing a timing belt job. it's got 252k on the odometer. i bought it at 202k and i don't honestly know when the last time any major maintenance was done. I've searched the crap out of here. and found a decent list of parts to acquire. The timing belt stuff was obvious butvi've purchased a few things that aren't necessarily timing related but i might as well do while i have the thing open.

Among this list are a few things that aren't necessary with a Timing belt job but i got them anyways...
**BOUGHT**
-Timing belt
-A/C compressor belt
-P/S pump belt
-Timing belt tensioner
-Balancer belt tensioner
-Water pump
-Front Main Seal
-Balance Shaft Seal
-Distributor O-ring
-Vtec Solenoid gasket
-valvecover/spark plug gasket

**NEED/CAN DO TOO**
-Balance shaft belt
-Camshaft seals

Before anyone say's "Search more"... I have. All I find is crap on stuff you NEED to have to do a timing belt job (water pump, belts, blah blah). I'm asking for you guys to help me add things to the need/can do list in case i'm over looking anything. I have a tendency to get to into things and miss obvious stuff and i want get everything out of the way at the same time.

Also... the biggest question i have, is how did those of you who have replaced your own front main seal or balance shaft seal go about removing the old seal. Google turned me to threads about people punching holes with scratch awls, and jamming screwdrivers in there and ghetto ripping them out. And even worse, 4 out of 5 threads seemed to show it all being done on civics. Yeah, i have scratch awls and chisels, and tiny screwdrivers. But i also have a seal puller for a reason... I've just never used it on a seal that was still around the shaft its sealing. It wont grip the center of the seals like they did in class, with no crank going through. It's time for real world **** and i wanna do it right. no scratching bores, or damaging seals. any advice from those who've done it on our engines, IN our cars would be great.

I'm like 90% confident i can do this with no issues. 5% is uncertainty reserved for the reality that sh*t beyond your control happens. I'm hoping you all can give me the last 5%

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
I've been collecting parts to do an overhaul on my F23, based mainly on what i can also do while doing a timing belt job. it's got 252k on the odometer. i bought it at 202k and i don't honestly know when the last time any major maintenance was done. I've searched the crap out of here. and found a decent list of parts to acquire. The timing belt stuff was obvious butvi've purchased a few things that aren't necessarily timing related but i might as well do while i have the thing open.

Among this list are a few things that aren't necessary with a Timing belt job but i got them anyways...

Before anyone say's "Search more"... I have. All I find is crap on stuff you NEED to have to do a timing belt job (water pump, belts, blah blah). I'm asking for you guys to help me add things to the need/can do list in case i'm over looking anything. I have a tendency to get to into things and miss obvious stuff and i want get everything out of the way at the same time.

Also... the biggest question i have, is how did those of you who have replaced your own front main seal or balance shaft seal go about removing the old seal. Google turned me to threads about people punching holes with scratch awls, and jamming screwdrivers in there and ghetto ripping them out. And even worse, 4 out of 5 threads seemed to show it all being done on civics. Yeah, i have scratch awls and chisels, and tiny screwdrivers. But i also have a seal puller for a reason... I've just never used it on a seal that was still around the shaft its sealing. It wont grip the center of the seals like they did in class, with no crank going through. It's time for real world **** and i wanna do it right. no scratching bores, or damaging seals. any advice from those who've done it on our engines, IN our cars would be great.

I'm like 90% confident i can do this with no issues. 5% is uncertainty reserved for the reality that sh*t beyond your control happens. I'm hoping you all can give me the last 5%

Use the smallest head screw driver you have or a toothpick. The balance seal was really easy to remove for me and maybe why they added the need for a retainer to it. The camshaft seal was a lot harder and more 'stuck in there'.

When installing the new seal match it to a socket that has roughly the same diameter/circumference and use that to lightly and gently tap it in place.

As for additions
Parts...
..timing belt retainer spring
..balance belt retainer spring
..balance shaft seal retainer
..not exactly on the timing belt side but distributor cap/rotor since you're doing the o-ring anyways.
..thermostat (don't forget to bleed the system when all done)

Things to check/do
..check power steering hose / change power steering fluid
..clean egr port/valve / clean throttle body & butterfly valve / clean IACV (you might need new gaskets for these to avoid any issues after reassembly
..coolant upper/lower hoses if they seem worn out

Last edited:

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
The only reason you'd need to change the oil pan gasket is if it's leaking.

slowrider87

Reaction score
Thanks stunna. Just ordered those parts. And camshaft seal, and PCV grommet. Thermostat and hoses are fairly new. have 20k on them.cap and rotor might be added. Still deciding.

Back