Front Suspension Kit

Kyleelder

Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find much info but basically my car is sitting slightly above 190k. At around 160k it was lowered on Eibach Sportlines and KYB GR2 struts with a wicked tuning rear camber kit. Now my car is starting to make a weird clunk sound at low speeds, parking lots, small bumps and when you let the clutch out sometimes(it sounds like its coming from the lower front right).My car also feels a bit wobbly. I suspect my suspension is just getting wore out.I can't see any torn ball joints or anything. and i read a few things on the web about checking ball joints and tierods but kind of didn't understand. Does anyone have a DIY for checking out suspension components? Like I grabbed my wheel at 3 and 9 0clock position and pushed left to right the wheel did move, but it felt more like it was hitting the steering lock on each side than play in the suspension. I also get a humming sound occasionally that I think may be a wheel bearing, but can't figure out which one.

Some part of me wants to just replace everything.Ball joints,tie rod ends, wheel bearings. I found this on ebay Full Front Suspension Kit however I'm not to sure of the quality of those parts. What parts are recommended from someone who has done this before?

finch13

Reaction score
Well, if you get the front end up in the air, grab the wheel and 3 & 9 and wiggle it. If there is play, it's likely the tie rod end. Grab it and 6 & 12, if there's play it's likely ball joints.

Wheel bearings usually hum or make a growling noise at all speeds. It can also cause wobbles at speed.

Worn bushings will also cause clunking sounds. If they're 100% gone, you can usually move the component they're in. If they're on their way out, they'll be torn around the metal tube in them.

Spring isolators (rubber pad between spring and shock mount) will wear through and cause clunks. It's about $40-60 to replace all the rubber shock components on 2 struts.

I wouldn't get those eBay parts, they're no name brand and probably gonna fail within 6 months. Get something good... Napa Premium or Moog brand, SKF wheel bearings from Napa or OEM. That will cost you a lot though, probably $200-250 each side. I put Napa "MasterRide" tie rod ends on a Buick 2 months ago, they're already clunking again.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Agree about parts, suspension is one area of the car you don't want to cheap out on. If you can't afford decent parts now, just keep saving.

Kyleelder

Reaction score
thanks for all the info finch.so I should be able to move the wheel enough to hit the steering lock tho right?Can anyone recommend a site that has a decent price on those brands?

finch13

Reaction score
No, you don't move the wheel to the lock... You kind of wiggle/shake it. It should feel solid. It will be tie rod play before it has even any chance at being the steering gear

xmsleepr

Reaction score
moog all the way i went thru 3 pairs of ball joints on my old mazda in 8months using cheap autozone then i was introduced into MOOG...The problem solver :)

HEADBANGER_X3

Reaction score
i also have a smiler situation. everytime i get on the highway and i hit a bump or one of those dips my back end will move from side to side. anyone know what might be the problum? am droped on skuck2 with tokico hp blues. thanks!

xmsleepr

Reaction score
i also have a smiler situation. everytime i get on the highway and i hit a bump or one of those dips my back end will move from side to side. anyone know what might be the problum? am droped on skuck2 with tokico hp blues. thanks!
check your tires for bubbles, imperfection?

finch13

Reaction score
If it moves so much you can feel it, it's probably lower link bushings. Get under the car and look at all the bushings.

Back