front upper control arm contacting body???

snydas1987

Reaction score
hey
iv just put in my function n form coilovers, camber kit front n back and swaybars front n rear.
The rear setup is awesome, so smooth n stiff but the front feels abit clunky like. Im wondering if its just the upper control arms contacting the strut tower where iv seen alot of people cut a section out of it. IV got the coilovers set at full ride height basically, leaving an inch of thread in the bottom section. Has anyone else had this problem? have i put somthing on incorrectly do you think or would it just be contacting the strut tower like i thought?
Also when i cut the strut tower to clear the area where the upper control arm is hitting it(if it actually is hitting it) will it hold its strength or does it need to have a boxed edge or some sort of strengthening done in that area? from what iv seen on the cars who have cut this piece out they just cut the square out and thats it.
Im also gonna take out all the plastic inner guards too.
Any info will be greatly appreciated
snyds

snydas1987

Reaction score
its like when i go over bumps or dips in the road the front end is pretty much bouncing off the ground and then clunking noise.. I double checked everything when i put it all together, everything was tight(nuts n bolts)..
The back feels awesome its just the front is real stiff like..
Is this just what lowered coilovers are like? Its not even low yet either, Stock rims n tires. The top of the tire is about level with the top of the wheel arch.
Any info or advice would be good.
Does anyone else running function n form coilovers have this problem, feeling??
cheers

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Jack up the car and look at the underside of the strut towers, you should be able to tell by looking at that and the UCA's if they are hitting. But from what you said you might not be that low, so it could be something else. Post some photos.

If you do decide to cut a hole, the correct and clean way to do it would be to have a cover/box welded on. Leaving it open is just lazy and looks bad, not to mention an invitation for rust.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Ah! All this crap about cutting! I do not like this!

Hit it. With a hammer. Touch it up with rustoleum rattle cans.

snydas1987

Reaction score
so i pulled my front wheels back off today and i found that the upper control arm is hitting the inner wheel arch/strut tower. Tho its hitting in a different spot to where most people cut the holes. its hitting the section basically under the area where the fender bolts on to the main chassis/space frame. Its only like maybe 5mm, i have pics that il post later but there pretty crappy, not enough light n my phone takes crap pictures as is. So its either pull all the upper control arms out and try fit a hammer in there to bash it in abit which will be hard due to there area being a small space and it also looks pretty solid. Or what about shaving some metal off the end of the upper adjustable control arm because the adjustable ball joint piece is way clear of that section but i think it would then cut it back to far so that the 2 channels where the ball joint bolts into n slides on for the camber adjustment meaning the channels would be open at that end. Do you think that would make that section weaker or would it be fine due to the 4 bolts holding it and also that section is like 8-10mm thick plate steel.
Any ideas would be great cause its messing up the handling and motion of the suspension.
Also thought i could pull them right out and then weld a plate across the open channels for the bolts to slide in so that the end becomes joined rather than it being like 4 fingers.
Another option would be try n split the room needed between the strut tower being banged in and taking off a little bit of metal from the upper control arm.. Thinking this option would be best and safest..
any thoughts will be appreciated and il upload pics later

White6GAV6

Reaction score
You could hit the UCA with a grinder to make it a little shorter and it will clear. Don't even have to take it off for that to happen. Guessing you have Ingalls UCA, or maybe an eBay brand or tubular arms?

snydas1987

Reaction score
Yeah got eBay front camber arms, always planned on going truhart front upper camber arms from the start but I got these cheap as and I'm pretty happy with the quality of the ball joint n bushings that came with it. I should be getting my truhart front arms in a month or so. I just wanted to get all my suspension on n together so I went the cheap option. Might regret it at the moment but il make em fit for now. N il have some quality arms soon.
I'm gonna give the control arms a grind back n see how it works out.. I really think 5mm off the corners will do it. At the moment it's like the arms are hitting then sliding past the wheel tub n gettin stuck above that section n then popping back down. Had me real worried to start with but I'm alittle happier now Iv seen what's going on n heard your advice..
Cheers

snydas1987

Reaction score
Ok so iv got the front end sorted out sweet now. Just had to grind some metal off the very end of the upper control arm so it cleared the space frame chassis section. Car rides so smooth n solid now. No clunks or noises. Everything is feeling tight and correct and id like to say im very happy with my Function n Form type 2 coilovers. They are a very quality finished and feeling product, Very east n good to setup and fit to the car, and they have a good range of adjustment with the damper preload 32 click system, can go from softish to super stiff. Also the spring rates for my 99 accord V6 are great 12kg front and i think it was said that i was sold 6kg rear springs but iv also seen that our car kit gets sold with 8kg rear coil springs so im not 100% sure on that last bit. either way they work well together the front n rears different weights with the cars all round offset mass.
Thanks for all your info n insight into dealling with my issue i had earlier.
Snyds

Back