grinding noise

MNAccord98

Reaction score
*btw i drive a 7th gen v6 6spd*

okay so i washed my car yesterday then shortly after was the first time i noticed this quiet grinding/little poping??? idk how to say it, just some kinda weird noise i had never noticed before. also when it was making the noise i could feel it in the gas peddle. did i get water in my oil? engine? i dont know but im going to bring it to my mechanic and i need an possible idea of what might be wrong.

so heres when it happens, when in 2nd or 3rd gear between 2000-4000 rpms. i dont feel like my car is running any different since i found this noise so i have no idea what it is affecting.

is it my timing belt? clutch???? im at 140k miles on original clutch and possible the same timing belt if the guy i bought the car from lied. i just really hope my tranny isnt going out or engine.

tried to google the problem, nothing on my accord but there were some forum topics about nissanmaximas doing the same and it was the exhaust gasket

any ideas? thanks

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'd have to say washing your car and this noise starting is a coincidence. Unless you washed the engine bay unprotected or used a power washer on it. Then something may be amiss.

Only possible tranny issues I'm aware of for these are grinding in 2nd or 3rd, but I believe that's only relevant when actually shifting into the gear. It's harder to get into and makes a little noise. But if you're in gear and just driving along, and hearing a noise between 2k-4k RPM, that sounds different. At that point I'd say motor related.

Have you checked your tranny fluid level? Oil level?

Can you get an audio clip of the actual noise?

MNAccord98

Reaction score
im gonna go warm my car up and listen to it again, take it for a oil change today and see whats up, um im not sure a audio clip would even pick it up. and funny thing, i did wash my engine bay. but i didnt drive it till it was dry

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Did you wrap exposed electricals, etc.? Even if things are dry on the outside now, water could still be inside some of those parts if any got in there. And in addition to the above, definitely find out one way or another if the car had its timing maintenance done. Not your clutch.

MNAccord98

Reaction score
i wrapped the alternator, fuse box etc, tho the product said no warping involved. also only used a light stream of water to wash it off. if it was engine lock i wouldnt be here talking about this so im sure nothing that likes going to happen, possibly messed up my ignition? spark plugs? like i said nothing different driving, no flying rpms anything like that just a little noise and vibration in the gas peddle, it idles just fine.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
Sounds like something mechanical to me o.o but what do I know .. anyways, if the pedal is vibrating, then couldn't it be your axle(s), bearings, etc ?

MNAccord98

Reaction score
yea i was also thinking that to, well there is no way for me to fix or know whats wrong, going to have to leave it to my mechanic, i really want to know what it is if he figures it out.

so i just happend to google serpentine belt grinding, my car has been making excessive whirring, its looking like my serpintin belt and tentioner i think personaly

MNAccord98

Reaction score
sounds like its either a bearing for the timing belt or serpentine belt. He needs to take apart the engine and look at the belt if what he thinks it is needs to be fixxed its gonna be 500$ in parts and about 400$ in labor and thats if there isnt something even worse wrong with it. :( there goes my bank haha, but thats including the power steering pump thats been out on my car for about 3 weeks now. hope he figures it out it doesnt look like it had anything to do with the wash i gave my car and dressing the engine.

Back