Hand-brake light stays on while driving

kamozee

Reaction score
Anything for me to be concerned about? It happened today when I was driving home from the hospital. It comes off with only a hard braking and comes on again when I start driving. It didn't stay off when I came to a complete stop and parked the car.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Same thing happens for me. When I brake it's takes much more force to actually brake than it does in my 7thgen. Could it be that the 7thgen is newer so it has more brake fluid which is why the 7thgen is much easier to brake? It's a big difference, whenever I drive my 7thgen and hit the brakes my body always moves forward because I'm so used to my weak brakes on the 6thgen.

How would I go about testing my brake fluid? Is it simple like checking motor oil and transmission oil?

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
Theres a reservoir inside your bay. Look in the manual for it. Im not sure if you have a 4 or 6. It could be brakes too.

stinker504

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet it's that filter in your brake reservoir. I had this same thing happen to me and I just replaced that filter and everything has been good since.

cliffsta

Reaction score
BEFORE you add fluid, check your pads! If your pads are old and worn and in need of replacing some time soon, I wouldn't go dumping a huge amount of fluid into the resevoir. It is likely your fluid level (mine did the same thing before I changed my rotors and pads)... but if you go filling the resevoir all the way back up and then put new pads on, you'll be cyphoning a bunch of brake fluid right back out of the resevoir.

legendaryyaj

Reaction score
^Correct. As I already stated, check your pads FIRST!

The pressure of the pedal is how the fluid pressure was setup. When your pads are almost gone and the fluid is short, the fluid level goes down because more fluid is needed to apply pressure on the piston. Thus causing the light to come on. The filter is a bobber thingy that floats in the reservoir. When the piston is pushed back in, via new pads, the fluid level goes back up. If you just fill it up and the pads are low, when you add new pads the tank will overflow. If you read the manual, it says to leave the cap off, when changing front pads, so that it can overflow if there is too much.

Back