Hard Jolt When Pressing on Gas after rolling stop

hellouser

Reaction score
I've got a 1999, automatic, 2 door coupe, 4 cylinder EX model.

Here's whats happening:

I've noticed whenever I come to a near complete stop (basically a rolling stop) and press on the gas, the car will make a hard jolt/thud/thump and kick back quite hard, almost like metal slamming on metal before it kicks in and moves forward. Essentially, if I'm driving at 60km/h, I release the accelerator, press the brake, slow down to around 5-10km/h and then press the accelerator again, it slams and then moves forward. This does not happen every time, but its happened often enough for it to be noticeable.

This 'jolt' is a lot like having the car in neutral and revving up the engine and while doing this, dropping it into drive (I never do this of course, but I'm sure we've all experimented with it at least once before).

This doesn't happen often, but I've been able to replicate it now after getting a feel for when the gears change.

I've recently had the timing belt, pump and transmission flush done on it and its still doing this. My mechanic says it could be a sticky solenoid. A friend of mine says its basically the transmission giving out.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
something with the trans probably. Check your fluid again. What kind did you put in? Color now? Level now? How many miles since the 'flush'?

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Mine does this at all rolling stops. I either have to stop completely or just barely tip in on the gas to make up for the slop. Also I have some slipping between shifts when it's cold. Taking off from a stop sometimes doesn't engage fist gear completely and will start off in second then jam down into first at around 2500rpm. I have done multiple flushes and my fluid is clean. I also have 210,xxx miles on the original tranny (and engine, V6). It's just getting worn out.

Last edited:

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Chance are your mounts might be worn out or completely shot. Have a someone shift between the drive gears and reverse gear while applying the brake and examine each mount. That is if you have check your A/T fluid/replaced it.

hellouser

Reaction score
something with the trans probably. Check your fluid again. What kind did you put in? Color now? Level now? How many miles since the 'flush'?

Not sure about the kind of fluid, but its literally been just a couple days since. The car does feel a bit more responsive, like a lower tone sound.

Total mileage on the car is 310,000km. I got it in 2010 with only 97k on it and in 5 years I've gave it a beating with over 210,000km lol. I'd like to keep it running for another couple of years and then get myself one of the 2009 or newer 2 door Honda Accords (love the design).

hellouser

Reaction score
Mine does this at all rolling stops. I either have to stop completely or just barely tip in on the gas to make up for the slop. Also I have some slipping between shifts when it's cold. Taking off from a stop sometimes doesn't engage fist gear completely and will start off in second then jam down into first at around 2500rpm. I have done multiple flushes and my fluid is clean. I also have 210,xxx miles on the original tranny (and engine, V6). It's just getting worn out.

How long has it been doing it that?

How long you think I could keep driving with this issue myself?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
When slowing down make sure you let it shift into gear before pressing on the accelerator again. Check motor/trans mounts as mentioned. Could be a solenoid or trans issue though. No CEL yet it sounds like?

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
It's been 4 years, started when my mom still owned it. I am my parents "mechanic". I've babied it for a year now. Mounts have been replaced and I've done drain and fills about 4 times since I took it off her hands last year. Hasn't gotten much worse but no better either. Every time I drive it I anticipate a flashing D4, but it just keeps going (knock on wood). Hopefully it goes out after I save enough for a 6speed swap.

hellouser

Reaction score
When slowing down make sure you let it shift into gear before pressing on the accelerator again. Check motor/trans mounts as mentioned. Could be a solenoid or trans issue though. No CEL yet it sounds like?

No CEL, thankfully. I'll check the solenoid with my mechanic at my next check up in a couple weeks. I'll ride it out for now and see it goes, thankfully I now live much closer to work (3.7km) so I won't be putting my strain on the car. I'll likely do the solenoid venture and see how things go from there...

hellouser

Reaction score
It's been 4 years, started when my mom still owned it. I am my parents "mechanic". I've babied it for a year now. Mounts have been replaced and I've done drain and fills about 4 times since I took it off her hands last year. Hasn't gotten much worse but no better either. Every time I drive it I anticipate a flashing D4, but it just keeps going (knock on wood). Hopefully it goes out after I save enough for a 6speed swap.

Oh wow, that's encouraging.... hopefully I can get the same out of my car.

Back