Head Gasket or thermostat?

Swollkat

Reaction score
I noticed a pool of brown gunk on my garage floor this morning. My wife has been driving my accord (I know) to work. The car can be on fire and she probably wouldn't notice and keep driving. Anyhow, I popped the hood and noticed the coolant reservoir was overflowing with the same gunk. My guess is that oil is mixing with the coolant because the engine overheated and blew the head gasket. Maybe the thermostat got stuck and heat built up. If that's the case what will I likely have to do beside replace the head gasket? Is my radiator toast as well? There are no other leaks that I can see. Just the overflow. Thanks for any advice. Oh and when I pulled out the dipstick it looked like it was just oil and not the same gunk.

P6280003.jpg

P6280002.jpg

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
replace head-gaskit and flush ur radiator and coolant system. Then do an oil change. Also pull out your thermostat and place it in boiling water to see if it moves.

Swollkat

Reaction score
Thanks HondaLuver83 for the heads up :thumbsup: Any idea what it would cost to have it done at a shop? I'll probably end up towing it to Top Tune (NASOHC's shop) in Orange.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
I dont know, since a shop will not be very direct with you. I always try not to go to a shop. Even if that means borrowing someones garage and tools.

It's probably going to cost you around 400$ for some shop to do it. Parts including the new thermostat is probably around $75, the rest is for labor. I may be estimating high, but don't let them dick you around and say u also need this and this. Post up on here before you agree to anything. Most of the time they try to sell you every little thing. I just hate mechanics shops.

finch13

Reaction score
A new headgasket $45 (http://www.hondapartscheap.com/sout...no&ListAll=&prdrefno=&act=&count=0&quantity=0) and a new thermostat is going to cost you about $28 from the dealer.

You can DIY the job, but you need to take the head to a machine shop and have them mill the bottom flat in case it warped. I'd recommend new head bolts, I think the Honda ones can only be stretched once. Those are $3/ea and you need 10.

madmech_79

Reaction score
A new headgasket $45 (http://www.hondapartscheap.com/sout...no&ListAll=&prdrefno=&act=&count=0&quantity=0) and a new thermostat is going to cost you about $28 from the dealer.

You can DIY the job, but you need to take the head to a machine shop and have them mill the bottom flat in case it warped. I'd recommend new head bolts, I think the Honda ones can only be stretched once. Those are $3/ea and you need 10.
Always replace the head bolts!!! You will never get the correct torque with used bolts.

finch13

Reaction score
Yep, wasn't sure. Some other car companies have head bolts that can be re-used 2 or 3 times before they have to be replaced. I learned that from a tech...

Anywho, at $3 a pop, it's not expensive insurance on the motor. Especially since strut fork bolts from the dealer are like $7/ea

Swollkat

Reaction score
Well the good news is that my father-in-law works for Honda parts and can get the parts at cost. The bad news is that I have to pay, but I love my ride too much not to. I'm going to have the engine rebuilt, so it can run another 200K. Thanks for the replies.

mraw112

Reaction score
rebuilding the engine is not needed. Its just a head gasket. You turning an easy sub 100$ fix into something thats going to cost most likely around 2000$.

Back