Head Gasket tomorrow morning, need advice

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
I'm doing the head gasket and timing belt on my car tomorrow morning and I've never done one before, so i was just wondering if anyone had any advice or tips? It's a 98 accord with an f23a1

chaby_91

Reaction score
have many ziploc bags and identify them with what they contain. like alternator bolts, ps pump bolts, timing cover bolts, etc. That will save you so much time, confusion, anger... You can buy the procedures online with all data or ondemand. I think its like $10 for a car online manual

You can't allow yourself to fail when doing this kind of work

Last edited:

cmgreensr

Reaction score
This is not a small or easy task. Do you have somebody with experience helping you? My advice would be to be neat as mentioned, take your time and make sure you have studied/prepared yourself for it. I've never done one in a honda, but either way, I don't want to do it again lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Make sure you know what you're getting into, and that you own/rent the correct tools for the job. I'd have someone who has done one assist you, or have a really thorough, comprehensive guide.

HomerJay

Reaction score
Good luck with the crank bolt. I tried everything on mine until I finally got 2 10' pipes and a coupling from Home Depot that fit over my breaker bar handle. Wish I had tried it first as it gave pretty quickly with that much leverage.

As others have said, make sure you have good info available. You'll be taking a lot off the car to get the head off. I used the service manual and it was pretty good. Only real issue along the way was the crank bolt.

When putting the head back on, it helps to drop the bolts through the head so you can line up the head without scratching the bottom of the head on the alignment dowels.

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice, I have studied for hours about it, I have a friend who's done a few on vw and audis coming to help. Unfortunately I don't have an air compressor, or a crank tool, so that's going to be interesting

JaredLeduck

Reaction score
Do I need I take the crank bolt out for this job? I'm replacing the timing belt and I think I can just loosen the tensioner and slide the belt off, but I could be wrong. I have a friend bringing his air compressor and a straight edge

HomerJay

Reaction score
For the timing belt, the crank pulley needs to come off. The belts you'll be changing are all under the protective plastic covers and the timing belt goes around the crank behind the pulley. At least for the 4 cyl.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Well, dang. W/o I've seen an air hammer work, pound bolt back to break loose. V6 starter will pop it loose, but I4 spin wrong. Best idea is an old drive (old cause ya gotta cut it, drive ie: alt) belt, if you wrap it around something (like 3/8" ratchet handle) and crank pulley, and jam it tight (between x-mem and frame work) it will hold, I've done it.

That air hammer was nuts, even my 1/2" impact wrench would NOT move it.

Last edited:
Back