head gasket

miket1026

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 98 accord f23 sohc vtec 183000 miles on it. I had the top end rebuilt 2 years ago. And now the head gasket is leaking again. Just hoping some one knows if the blcok could be the problem. Cause this would be the second head gasket in 2 years.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
It could be the block or the head, depends. Or could be that the head gasket got damaged or crimped upon install. When you say you had the top end 'rebuilt' 2 years ago - what did they do? I sure as hell hope they squared it and planed it if needed. The same should have been done for the block (if it was squared and resulted in being uneven). Did you install the head yourself? This should be a simple mistake to catch depending on how things were done - and not as simple to fix, but still simple :lawl:. Let us know the details and I'm sure I, or others, can pinpoint it to exactly what the issue is.

Where are you from in Oklahoma? I just moved away from there after living there for 3 years. I lived in NW OKC, and Enid.

miket1026

Reaction score
I had a ase certified mechanic do it. I know he replaced all the normal
Code:
stuff. Water pump timing belt. But not sure if he made sure everthing was sqared and level. It s not completly blown yet as I'm still driving the car. I moved down here from oregon a year ago. Living in anadarko. I know in about a week I gonna start taking it apart.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well I'll tell you right now - it's one of three things:

1) The head gasket was improperly installed or torqued down, causing a leak somewhere. If the alignment dowels were not placed back upon install, this can cause the head to shift ever so slightly even if it was torqued and bolted down correctly and could cause a leak or tear in the head gasket, or just shift the surface area also causing a leak.

2) The head gasket itself was damaged in the process and cannot hold the seal - and is thus leaking. Could be a combination of head gasket damage or improper install, or one caused by the other.

3) The head or the block (or both) are warped/uneven.

Those are the only reasons for this to be happening. Good luck what finding out what the actual problem is. Head gasket maintenance isn't that hard on these cars, as long as you have like 2-3 days of down time, and that's granted you're not some professional. If you're a pro it can be done in an evening.

Let us know if you need any more help or advice during the process, and what you discover!

Back