Header Questions

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm planning on getting a 4-2-1 header for my F23. My main goal is to add some decent power overall, but particularly low-end torque if at all possible. I just have a few questions:

- How much power will this add?
- How will it affect the different parts of my RPM band?
- Will this increase or decrease my fuel economy?
- How much louder will this make the car?
- If I install this header, but keep the OEM catback exhaust and muffler, will it still be really loud?

Any info is much appreciated!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Expect 0 hp, after that much work it will feel like nothing.

Ditto.

No, you will. More gas pedal = worse gas mileage

If open, yup.

Not with stock, expect the same.

I went MANY header styles, 4-2-1, 4-1, 4-1 shorty, log-style homemade, on a 91 Civic, with a few engines, D-sohc & D-dohc (ZC).

Want to see gains, at the wheel, G-Force HP thing, expect +5 on OEM 120, you're talking a 4% gain.

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
Thanks, xci. You answered every one of my questions, and in order too lol.

Will it at least yield better throttle response? I mean there has to be SOME reason why people spend so much time and money on headers. Are they just for sound?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Usually people who bother with headers have opened up the rest of the exhaust (high flow cat/resonator, aftermarket catback, etc), and the whole system together can make a little difference. At the end of the day though, unless you do a major overhaul on these cars, you'll spend a lot of money on performance bolt-on mods and not make noticeable gains.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
the reason is 'hope'

do a header, cai, matched/polished runners, exhaust, cam, etc.....

you do everything you will make 50 more hp, every drip in the bucket...

Reaction score
I to am installing headers on my 2001 Accord and just had a few questions about the install how hard is it to remove the down pipe bolts I do have a impact if that helps I have also been reading PB blaster will be my best friend on this job is that true and the hardware that holds the manifold to the block looks like it is all bolts except for one stud that has a locking nut is this true any advise would help I got a quote at a shop for 100 bucks to do the job but I'm just worried about them breaking a bolt off in the head and charging me triple the quoted price

xci.ed6

Reaction score
probly a re-bump, i just saw one like this.

anyway, you pretty much can NOT snap a head bolt.

they are in aluminum, the STEEL bolt can rip the threads out, literally.

Now if you pull the threads out, we gotta get into your replacement/helicoil options...but I have never seen this on a Honda.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Well the shop managed to break one of the studs the bill went from 100 to 289 :banghead:

They shouldn't be able to charge you for their mistake. I installed my header yesterday without any prior experience and I had no issues. If a shop did that then you should complain

CokeZero

Reaction score
Well the shop managed to break one of the studs the bill went from 100 to 289 :banghead:

They can't legally do that. You agreed upon the price, they didn't take needed measures and damaged your car (even if you knew it would break)

You pay the shops high price to have it done right without having to worry about it.

I would fight them to the grave over it just to prove a point.

You can also file a claim with the Better Business Bureau. (BBB) http://www.bbb.org/

They put alot of pressure on businesses so the business will kiss their *** to make you happy.

Back