Helicoil thread repair

JDM_Rook

Reaction score
Today, I replaced the Vtec selenoid gasket on my 4cyl. I lossened the top left bolt on the selenoid the rotate the bracket so i could get to the bottom bolts that fasten to the head. So, after I finished up getting that back on I went to tighten the top, bolt as i only lossened it a couple turns. I was just going to feel for the tightness with a box wrench rather than use a torque wrench. Well I didnt really feel it get that tight before i noticed it was just turning in place. The bolt just ripped a ring of threads of as you can see in the picture.
I have never done a helicoil repair but looks easy as long as you take your time. I think this bolt is 10x1.25? Can anyone confirm this? What is the best and cost effective kit to buy? I'm think i should finish removing the top when i try to fix this. Is there a seal between the mating surfaces? Don't know if it is servicable? Would RTV sealant suffice?

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-...l-ul-leather-kl-4at/cylinder-head.html?PNC=11

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
You can go to AutoZone, napa, o reilly, Lowe's, home depot etc. They typically have a convenient tool you can use to check your screw, just make sure you take your screw with you. My method of repair isn't exactly cheap, but I decided to go with the best for thread repair and use timesert. Probably overkill in most cases but the extra peace of mind is worth it

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I think that's the size, idk...

Take the bolt to a fastenall, check it, then they have everything.

I can't tell you how to nearly as well as you can try it. Use a lil piece of scrap metal so you can learn how before attempting how.

I gotta show my own:
459064_944275852179_544810600_o.jpg

In that I made my own. The timing belt tensioner on my car stripped. M12, iirc, so I took an M14 and drilled the center then tapped it to M12. On the car I drilled and tapped the smooth M12 to M14. Installed that then the tensioner. It's ghetto by method (made of leftover bits), awsome looking, and STILL WORKING!!!!

Back