Help.. Transmission questions?

Cato95

Reaction score
I have a 98 accord ex v6 auto with 150k miles. I've had Emerald since Febuary. Issues: I hit 80 mph and the check engine light came on. Only 1 code and it was the oil pressure sensor. I would occasionally get a violent clunk on an incline. We flushed with OEM fluid 3x but it didn't help. Last week my transmission started to go crazy the rpm was jumping all over the place and the car was jerking really bad. It completely stopped working within an hour. The check engine light didn't come on until the car was no longer moving. Right now we're trying to find a place to take it to get "officially diagnosed" and a quote. One shop told us 1,300 for new torque converter, rebuilt tranny, and a free tow. I've heard that with a rebuilt a lot of old parts are still left and the warranty isn't as long vs a remanufactured where everything is replaced and the warranty is a couple of years. Does it really matter which one I go with?

After its fixed we plan on installing a cooler (properly) and doing the fluid change 2x a year. I have car payments so getting another vehicle isn't an option at the moment.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
My Odyssey did the same thing while I was driving on the freeway started dropping rpm and jerking like crazy pulled off the freeway and made it about 6km and the trans was done. The shop that did the trans in my Odyssey said the problem is the oem parts in the trans are junk. The clutch discs they use are poor quality, he told me what they do to extend the life of the Honda trans is to use Raybestos heavy duty clutch discs, there are fluid channels that are to small so they drill them out to allow more fluid flow hence less chance of them getting clogged. Also the trans cooler must be flushed out they get clogged really fast from the poor quality discs and it causes premature failure. They charged me 1500 CDN taxs in. They only offer a 1 year warranty and I believe most shops wont go much more than that might get 2 years at most.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I hope by "flushed with OEM fluid 3x" you mean drained and refilled 3 times. Flushing these transmissions is not recommended. Since you are keeping the auto in the car, I would go with whichever option is cheapest (making sure it's quality work of course) because unfortunately the transmission is likely to fail again in due time.

$1300 for a new TC and rebuild doesn't sound too bad.

Cato95

Reaction score
I called the closest Honda dealership that we use and they quoted me $5,000. Which was ridiculous compared to what the local shop will charge me. Okay so I will definitely talk to him about those discs a and drilling bigger holes. Thank you!

604ACCORD

Reaction score
The shop told me the problem is the oem parts, think about it oem lasts like 40 to 60 000k and then they fail I have read tons of complaints against Honda about these transmissions failing after 40 000k. I would go to a transmission shop and ask what kind of discs they use he told me they have had great success with raybestos HD clutch discs.

Cato95

Reaction score
Okay so from what I'm seeing either one of those Raybestos clutches with be better than the OEM ones.

Back