Hey!!!

V6 4AT vs. I4 5MT

• Dude you can't beat 3 pedals, the I4 FTW!!

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • There's no replacement for displacement, V6 atw.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

xluben

Reaction score
curse = 6th gen auto tranny's are known to go out prematurely

get the 5spd, way more fun.

up to about 100mph they can hang with the auto v6 anyways.

Nemo619

Reaction score
aackshun, I drive both auto and manual f23s and have driven a 98 V6. All sedans, but I love my manual and have experienced the pain of stop and go traffic in it. I would say go with the 4bangar unless you plan on doing a CL-S 6spd manny swap with the V6.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
98AV6205HP said:
Not all trannys are bad on 6th V6's. I have a 1998 AV6 with 187,XXX miles and its still running strong on the original tranny.

this is true. my friends is the same way. but you, me, him, and everyone else in the 6th gen communities know that having a v6 on its original tranny for that long, isnt like finding a needle in a haystack, its like finding a needle in a country. those are less then few and far between. even my 4banger had a developing transmission problem.

Nemo619

Reaction score
Other 98AV6205HP V6, my father's 98 V6 hasn't had a hint of problems, and he bought it brand new back in 98. It's been on Cali, NY, and now Texas roads. His car has seen alot of different road conditions and the auto tranny is still good at 90k.

aackshun

Reaction score
I've seen plenty of Honda V6s make around 150k miles with no problems, the ones I've test driven are flawless until nearing those numbers, as I've read a thread on here about (stockwise) the 5MT 4 bangers (god now i'm saying it) are as fast as the AV6s anyways but def don't sound as good. No, I do not plan on doing a tranny swap because the J30s arent really that fast anyways >.> (no, i dont feel like throwing in the cash to make it fast anyways)... but if i did get a 4 banger i would be tempted for a H22A swap for some speed...

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
aackshun said:
I've seen plenty of Honda V6s make around 150k miles with no problems, the ones I've test driven are flawless until nearing those numbers, as I've read a thread on here about (stockwise) the 5MT 4 bangers (god now i'm saying it) are as fast as the AV6s anyways but def don't sound as good. No, I do not plan on doing a tranny swap because the J30s arent really that fast anyways >.> (no, i dont feel like throwing in the cash to make it fast anyways)... but if i did get a 4 banger i would be tempted for a H22A swap for some speed...

if you want a sweet sound, turbo the f23. :thumbsup:

aackshun

Reaction score
or better yet turbo a H22.... god no I can't get a turbo VTEC car, i'll just be hitting VTEC all day and watch the boost meter jump all day long and virtually get no MPGs :rofl:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
aackshun said:
or better yet turbo a H22.... god no I can't get a turbo VTEC car, i'll just be hitting VTEC all day and watch the boost meter jump all day long and virtually get no MPGs :rofl:

just so you know, the vtec in the accords isnt all that great, haha. but yea, who needs mpg's, and if your concerned about it, drive good WITH the turbo, haha, shift low in the rpm's and youll be good. i know a guy with a civic with a built gsr motor (b18) with a t4 turbo pushing 30lbs with 700hp at the wheels and he still got 27mpg going from here, NJ, to virginia, and back once.

aackshun

Reaction score
Yes, I know Sketch, I just love the sound of VTEC. If I wanted to feel VTEC i'd find me a GSR and throw in some JDM parts.... as for the 700hp civic :eek: that's insane power, but I bet the driver wasn't always hitting 6k or 7k before he shifts just to hear VTEC and his boost meter jump while on that trip... see if it was me... that's all i'd be doing :thumbsup:. Thanks allot for your help guys, I think I'll have to drive the F23 and see what's up then I'll make my final decision.

Back