HID giving me problems.

hirichard

Reaction score
Actually.. Take out your gauge cluster and make sure all the wires are clean and check the grounds etc. My lights used to do something similar but it was because I had a frayed wire back there.

what would his gauge cluster have to do with his hid's?

try swapping ballasts on both sides and see if the "faulty" ballast acts up on the opposite side

Bax

Reaction score
My gauge cluster is just fine... :eh:

Call me crazy, but could it have something to do with me moving the ballast out of the restrictive place it was in?? I've always had it 3m taped on the side of the engine bay, between the metal and the air box, both the ballast and the relay. I moved both of them to where the resonator used to stick up, kind of tucked in behind the little metal piece and the headlight, and I drove about an hour tonight in the dark. Not one problem. :thinking:

Do you guys think maybe it was just getting vibrated too much/hit too much by the air box where it was at? (the wires were snugly pulled sideways, which might not have helped either)

If it starts acting up again, I'll switch the ballasts. Hopefully it won't though, but you never know about these hids.

Bax

Reaction score
Well after a few days of moving the ballast and relay out of the tight spot I had them in, they worked great for a few days. And I use my headlights way more now that I have to get up early for school ( 5-ish so it is still kinda dark plus fog) and I work at night.

Today, guess what. again. :mad:
But I got to looking at the ballast, and it had fallen into some sort of hole under the headlight, thus again pulling on the cord. After further looking at it, the cord that goes from the ballast from the bulbs looked kind of ripped. I put the ballast in a more stable place, and tightly wrapped electrical tape around the ripped insulation. Drove around, and I couldn't make it go off if I tried. Hopefully it will stay this way. :eh:

shenaniganz08

Reaction score
oh boy

i don't even want to ask but please tell me you are mounting your ballasts properly and not just letting them rattle around freely ?

Bax

Reaction score
At first I had the ballast 3m double sided taped to the wall beside the stock air box, but it was causing tension on the relay wire. Idk how, it was fine for a long time, I guess it was just enough pressure to slowly tug at it enough over time to start ripping it. I honestly don't know how it took so long if the pressure was that bad. It didn't even seem that tight. I think it was because i had a SRI when i first mounted it, but then i put my stock airbox back in, so maybe that cause it to push the wire over causing more tension.

After that though, i tried to cram it in the crevice under the headlight, and it stayed for a while (i don't want to 3m tape something that i'm unsure if i will have to replace it or not within the next few days), then it fell somehow again, now i have it ziptied kind of between the battery and the headlight. You can barely see it if you look in there. It hasn't given me any trouble lately though.

Back