HID question 3k or 5k? which is brighter?

US3D98

Reaction score
So i've been tryin to explain to my cousin that i think 3k is way brighter then 5k. well i don't kno anything about brighter but when i had 3k on my headlights it projector further then my 10k bulbs without adjusting the headlights or anything
so whats your guys opinion?

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Actual it the amount of wattage output which makes it brighter the 3k and 5k is the different color degree I think lol so the output is the same difference is the color

US3D98

Reaction score
lol i never thought about that thats true
i heard the 55w was pretty strong

Ofnir107

Reaction score
So i've been tryin to explain to my cousin that i think 3k is way brighter then 5k. well i don't kno anything about brighter but when i had 3k on my headlights it projector further then my 10k bulbs without adjusting the headlights or anything
so whats your guys opinion?

I think that's where your problem lies.... this might help. =D I found this on an AZine thread from google...

Color Temperature Explained:

Color Temperature: 3000K
3000K emits GOLDEN YELLOW color and offers superior penetration power during adverse weather epically in dense fog. The applications of the 3000K kit aim more towards secondary lighting apparatus such as high beam and fog lights. This is the color temperature that will catch all the attention on the road.

Color Temperature: 4300K
The light appears fairly white, and has light yellowish hue when reflected off the road identical to the OEM HID equipped vehicles. It is ideal for customers who does a lot of back road or canyon driving and need the optimal visibility.

Color Temperature: 6000K
6000K emits pure white light with very slight and barely noticeable tint of blue and purple. This color is for customers who is looking for pure performance white while improving the looks of their headlight.

Color Temperature: 8000K
ORACLE 8000K has an approximately 3000lm output, which is about 3x the light output of the traditional halogen light and slightly less light output compared to the 6000K. While it has a bit lesser light output, it emits bluer light than the 6000K.

Color Temperature: 10000K
ORACLE 10000K has an approximately 2800lm output, which is more than 2x the light output of the traditional halogen light. 10000K produces a deep blue light output approaching violet and the blue is noticeably deeper than the 8000K.

Color Temperature: 12000K
This color temperature puts out a deep bluish violet light and is deeper colored than the 10000K. It is for customer who is looking for the most extreme and most exotic looking light output.

Common HID Misconceptions:

Higher the K (Kelvin temperature) the brighter it gets- Not True, the Kelvin Scale measures color not brightness. The brightness is actually inversely proportional to the light output. 4500K HID is technically the brightest and the further you increase or decrease from 4500K the lumens (visible light) will slightly decrease.

Original Thread Link

US3D98

Reaction score
thanks for the link lol so is 5k brighter? hah and wait it said 45k lol i thought it would be 43k ahah

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I think if you measured with a PAR meter (or whatever you use to measure light output of different colors), the actual output would be similar. What we see is another story. I can tell you that in my aquarium, I have different bulbs that appear brighter or duller to me but not to plants growing. I am speculating but the plants do about the same regardless of bulb temp which makes me assume the output would be very similar. Think about it this way, no matter how many black lights you put in a room, it will never look like sunlight, even if blindly bright.

Back