HIDs on passenger side won't turn on, affecting high beams

001Stunna

Reaction score
I didn't do my research before I went to a shop that does HID installs. They convinced me to get HID high beams. The shop has an lifetime warranty on bulbs and ballasts though, so isn't it ultimately their loss if my high beam bulbs burn out prematurely?

I switched the high and low ballasts on the passenger side and it didn't seem to make a difference. Could mounting location be a factor? The ballasts are mounted above the headlights right underneath the hood. The wires are dangling everywhere and the plastic covering the ballasts are fraying as if they are being melted.

Mounting location will not make a difference.
All my previous ballasts and my current ones(Morimoto 3five) have been metal...pretty hard from them to fray etc. I hope yours are not plastic.
The wires should have (yellow)rubber stoppers on each connection to not allow water to make its way to the actual connections. If they don't, once again you got sh1t ballasts.
Please tell me you got 35w and not 55w ballasts running off the stock cars wiring.

Once again in my opinion you need to run a relay harness. The choice is up to you...

DYEL

Reaction score
Update: I've been turning on the lights before even inserting the keys and its been 100% success rate in having both lights turn on. So whatever (I) is, I'm assuming accessories, turning on the ignition (II) or starting the car (III) makes the headlight fail sometimes. Why would this be?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Update: I've been turning on the lights before even inserting the keys and its been 100% success rate in having both lights turn on. So whatever (I) is, I'm assuming accessories, turning on the ignition (II) or starting the car (III) makes the headlight fail sometimes. Why would this be?

The way you should be turning on your HIDs is after the car is on and turn them off before you turn the car off. That way when the car turns on there is no current drop on the ballasts. Seems you like to do things the opposite/wrong way though.

DYEL

Reaction score
The way you should be turning on your HIDs is after the car is on and turn them off before you turn the car off. That way when the car turns on there is no current drop on the ballasts. Seems you like to do things the opposite/wrong way though.

I know, I'm simply reporting that turning them before the car is on makes it so it always works, and I'm asking why. You're real helpful, aren't you?

001Stunna

Reaction score
I know, I'm simply reporting that turning them before the car is on makes it so it always works, and I'm asking why. You're real helpful, aren't you?

Take OFF the pointless high beam HID kit. Run the low beam alone. Use a relay. Your troubles should end unless your ballasts are already fudgered anyways. I never understand why people do not try the obvious first before getting moody and not liking being told they keep doing it wrong.

Back