High Idle after Seafoam

Tectonickz

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope this is urgent enough to be in here but it sounds pretty bad and I wanna fix it Asap.

Pretty much for the past year my car has had a rough idle (cold, warm, etc) it's always rough. Idles around 750-1000 but vibrates. AC makes it way worse, rear defrost even worse. Blinkers and headlights also make it worse, lot of electrical stress. My thinking it's dirty Iacv or tb. Anyways,

I seafoamed the car this morning, read up about it and watched a video on an f23. Poured half into hose by IM while car was idling. Then poured other half in tank. I let It sit for about 10-15 minutes and then started it up and gave it some good revs for about 5 mins. Then It took it around town a little bit and on the highway to clear it all out. Or at least It thought...

....Now my car is idling super high!!!! It idles around 2200-3000 and then when It give it a little gas it goes up to 3000-3500 then comes back. AC drops the idle to about 1700. But it still is super high and definitely isn't good for my engine. I'm 5 speed so when I push in the clutch to shift from 2nd to 3rd for example my rpms shoot all the way up to 3k when the clutch is in then drop to like 1500 once I let go and it's in gear.

I'm planning on cleaning the entire TB, IM, and EGR soon. And I am going to check to see if I cracked the hose or its a lose connection when adding seafoam cause idk what else would be causing this other than a vacuum leak as it wasn't doing this prior to the seafoam? Or maybe it just needs to settle in? It's been about 6 hours now and still doing it.

I'm hoping you guys can maybe chime In on this though because I don't want to keep driving my car while it's doing this but it's my DD. :(

Any comments appreciated.

J_Ridden

Reaction score
I actually did this friday, but I only used 1/3 of seafoam. The only problem I ran into was it triggered CEL code P0500 (VSS). It does sound like you have a vacuum leak. Re-check the hose that connects to the brakebooster, maybe its loose or you nicked it somehow.

Tectonickz

Reaction score
Yep I got off of work and unplugged it and re plugged it in and just like that she's back to normal. The only reason I was worried was because it's been idling weird before this as well so I wasn't sure. SOLVED. Mods can close.

james'99

Reaction score
I actually did this friday, but I only used 1/3 of seafoam. The only problem I ran into was it triggered CEL code P0500 (VSS). It does sound like you have a vacuum leak. Re-check the hose that connects to the brakebooster, maybe its loose or you nicked it somehow.

I second this on my 5 speed. I think it has to do with there being an excessive load on the engine but the car isn't actually moving. Obviously you just have to erase it and it won't come back but I was trying to put words to why it happened.

Back