hot rims (literally)

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
i would measure the temp on the left and right first....the fronts should be close in temp and the rear should be same as each other but less than the fronts...

also aftermarket wheels are most likely a slightly different material with different heat absorption properties...this may be what you are noticing

also you can jack up each corner of the car and try to spin the wheel making sure the brakes are off and put it in neutral to ensure that the brakes aren't dragging...

turbo_911

Reaction score
Wow, that is interesting, because after a brake bed-in process (had to do when installed new rotors and brake pads) I touched my rims and they were cold... even though it was super hot outside.

My rims did get warm couple times, but not hot that you can't put your hand on for at least a minute.

Jokon

Reaction score
The noise could be many things. I'll list some of the noises I've dealt with around my brake area. One is the dust shield rubbing and I had to push them more toward the inside of the wheel well. A squeal pad underneath the brake pads could be misaligned. Another thing is a rod guide on the brake calipers could have seized causing improper contact to the brake rotor. That's my two cents. Hope it is of some use.

Also I have stock wheels on my car and from time to time they get warm to the touch. Just depends on how you drive the car and like another member said the material the wheel can have an affect on heat dissipation.

finch13

Reaction score
Either the caliper is sticking, internally frayed brake hose, or seized caliper slides. That's if the temp is not in the same range as its complimentary brake (RF to LF, etc).

If the brake temps are consistent from side to side, I'd say it's what Danny mentioned about heat absorbtion.

My 18's would never warm up like that, but my steelies would boil water afterwards. Same pads and rotors, different wheels.

Sent from my Nexus One

chaby_91

Reaction score
Guys... this is so dumb... When I bought the rims, they came with tire which were good for anotehr summer. The guy told me that he was told there was a tire that had a manufacturing defect and the last time he saw the wheel on his car the tire was flat... Ao you know... whatever happens... ok i'll just have to inflate it every 3 days or something... I can live with that.

When I came to take my car this morning I see me tire is flat... I get the compressor, inflate that thing and I discover there is a cut on the side of the tire and the air comes out of it really fast... luckily I had another car I could take...

Well the guy seemed not to know anything about cars... but what I think is that the guy who put the tire on the rims was a f**king idiot, he pierced the tire and didn't want to pay it cuz it's worth like 200$ and the tire looks brand new

here's a pic... tell me what you think...

http://imgur.com/b0bw8

I replaced my stock wheels and the weird feeling went away so I guess it's the flat tire's fault

Back