How to get stripped screws out from OEM stereo

Murdaccord

Reaction score
Helllllllllllllllooooooooo,

So I need access to my stereo serial number in order to get the radio code and get it working again (Disconnected the battery w/o knowing :eusa_wall:). I have a 99 so I believe the only way to get the radio code is to call up a dealership and provide the serial number. Everything goes smoothly until I get to the last 2 screws of the stereo and those will not come out for sh**. I had 3 people try but they're stripped now if they weren't before. I think Hulk tightened them too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

agginline86

Reaction score

Simkid5614

Reaction score
If this is the ORIGINAL NEVER REPLACED radio. You can get the unlock code Via the VIN number. If you want to do the two at the bottom of the radio trim. Pull the lower pocket and trim from the bottom. Use a flat head to provide leverage to push the other side of the screw heads if they spin. If they're stripped. Just cut them out with a dremel and get new ones.

But try the VIN method. You can also remove the clock. Shine a flash light, you may be able to see the Serial on the radio from the clock area if the A/C controls aren't too far out.

Murdaccord

Reaction score
Are you sure you're able to get the code through the VIN? I called the dealership where this car was originally purchased which is only 5 minutes away and they looked it up but said they didn't see it. I really didn't think I was going to run into such a dumb problem accessing the serial number...

Murdaccord

Reaction score
In the past I've drilled out screws
or use a pliers to twist the head to unscrew it out

if either aren't possible you could try one of these methods

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

The rubber band one sounds interesting. not sure it would work since they sound like they are torqued in pretty tight

the JB weld one may be your best bet

If this is the ORIGINAL NEVER REPLACED radio. You can get the unlock code Via the VIN number. If you want to do the two at the bottom of the radio trim. Pull the lower pocket and trim from the bottom. Use a flat head to provide leverage to push the other side of the screw heads if they spin. If they're stripped. Just cut them out with a dremel and get new ones.

But try the VIN method. You can also remove the clock. Shine a flash light, you may be able to see the Serial on the radio from the clock area if the A/C controls aren't too far out.

Thanks for your suggestions...Hmmm have someone install an aftermarket head unit and let them deal with it? :p

cfox28

Reaction score
was the dealership u bought it from a honda dealership? if not, you most likely need to call a honda dealer. i had the same problem, and i had the honda dealer tell me the code

Murdaccord

Reaction score
Yes its a Honda dealership. I called the dealership where the car was originally purchased when it was brand new. I see now that you probably thought I meant where I originally purchased it a year and a half ago, but I bought it from the original owner.

I think you can only get it by VIN and through your stereo as well if you have a 2000+ model.

Simkid5614

Reaction score
888-798-6946 Price Honda/Acura.
Call my Service dept. "Hi I lost my radio code. I replaced my battery and didn't know the radio would lock. Can I get the code?" Sure whats the VIN.

Murdaccord

Reaction score
^You confused me. I ended up taking it into the dealership to have them finish it. I didn't wanna pay but I was in a rush. They charged 30 minutes of labor and it actually took him 30 minutes. I've seen people do this in 5 minutes so maybe those screws were on there worse than I thought lol.

If you're still saying I could have gotten it simply by VIN, I need more confirmation of this. I talked to 2 dealerships and a Honda Certified Master Tech and all 3 said that they needed the stereo serial number. WTF?!? Are you sure you can retrieve by VIN if its a 98-99 and its not in the system? It is now stored after my visit, but apparently it wasn't there before.

Simkid5614

Reaction score
That's BS cause they asked for my Vin. and I'm 00. I bought an 02 Radio. they looked it up by Vin of the Old car. and They also asked for mine originally. They just wanted you to bring it in for registration reasons.

Back