Hubcap/Wheel Cover Repaint Question

Go!

Reaction score
So im a total noob when it comes to this stuff..

Do I need to sand down the chipped spots, then use some sort of primer, then the paint?

Or what.

Thx!

001Stunna

Reaction score
Depending on how good/long you expect them to last...
What i did for mine(use em through the winter) is sand, wash with some dishwasher detergent, prime2x, paint2x, clear2x. All was done using the cheap walmart paint and its held up for 3 winters now.

Go!

Reaction score
Depending on how good/long you expect them to last...
What i did for mine(use em through the winter) is sand, wash with some dishwasher detergent, prime2x, paint2x, clear2x. All was done using the cheap walmart paint and its held up for 3 winters now.

Is primer and paint 2x necessary?
:thinking:
Also, using clear did it make them too shiny? A picture for reference would be awesome!

Besides that, thanks for the advice Stunna! :driving:

001Stunna

Reaction score
Is primer and paint 2x necessary?
:thinking:
Also, using clear did it make them too shiny? A picture for reference would be awesome!

Besides that, thanks for the advice Stunna! :driving:

It all depends whether you want them to be shiny or matte finish. Personally if i redo mine again for next winter i might just skip the clear as at times it'd make it look a tad off when sunny out and with the car being dirty and the hubcaps being shiny lol.

I would use primer and paint 100%...how many coats you do is up to you. I did two of each just because my hubcaps were quite messed up to start with.

cfox28

Reaction score
granted I was painting wheels not hubs, I used sand paper (i forget what grit, i don't think it was anything below 300) then i actually didn't use primer, just paint and clear. although I did do 4 coats paint and 3 clear. also I used duplicolor wheel paint and wheel clear.

cfox28

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember why i didn't find it important to prime.... i remember searching videos, and maybe i decided that since others didn't that i didn't need to either. I couple other things.. I rinsed it off first, sanded then washed with detergent, after it dried off I got a cloth damped with rubbing alcohol and wiped the wheels down and let that dry. one of the key things is to coats well, spending a buck or two more on cans that won't spit globs out will show in the final product. i'd search around a bit, i know some people lightly sand between coats

Back