i think my strut slashed my tire... help

iam_nas

Reaction score
ok, so today i got a flat, but it was two big gashes on the inside of my tire.... it looks like my tires are rubbing cause they had alot of wear on the inside, but my rims clear perfectly, i think it might be might strut.... kyb-gr2+prokit and the wheels are 215-35-18 .... i want to figure out whats messing up my tires before i go out and buy new ones... hopefully you guys can help....
may1st082flatdq4.jpg

may1st081co8.jpg

nyknick1015

Reaction score
did u ever get an alignment after ur prokit??

thats wierd... i have a higher and wider profile tire than u and im lower and that never happend to me

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Yeah
I'm running 215/40/18 and that has never happened.
I recommend an alignment

Did you hear any type of rubbing while driving

iam_nas

Reaction score
no i didnt get an alignment (im an idiot)... and no i dont ever hear rubbing... the thing is that this happened on my back drivers side tire... so would an alignment even affect it?

nyknick1015

Reaction score
well there is alignment all around... if its the back tire, is it only one tire? check the other one and see if its the same rubbing?

maybe a suspension component is broken thats causing it to camber like that because a prokit wouldnt cause rubbing like that

Fuzz

Reaction score
When you install your wheel, reach around the tire and make sure that nothing touches anything. The tire doesn't get any closer to the strut when you lower the car, so if it clears... it clears, and your problem is elsewhere.

It is hard to tell with the picture, but it looks like sidewall damage. Camber doesn't cause sidewall damage.

It could be you ran over some glass, or some metal on the road.

Dinzdale40

Large Member
Reaction score
what width and offset are you wheels?......they may be either too wide or too high of an offset..if they are just too high of an offset you could use a small spacer....but i kinda doubt you are rubbing on the shock...seems like you may have ran over some metal scrap or something that cut the tire

iam_nas

Reaction score
what width and offset are you wheels?......they may be either too wide or too high of an offset..if they are just too high of an offset you could use a small spacer....but i kinda doubt you are rubbing on the shock...seems like you may have ran over some metal scrap or something that cut the tire

im not sure what the offset is but i know they're 18inch bezel wheels made by helo... but maybe it was a piece of metal... the thing is that it was two gashes on the side wall not just one... we'll see tho... ima go buy a new tire tomorrow...

MikeyMike

Reaction score
u need a camber kit and an alignment start with that 1st

that doesnt look like a slash, if you were rubbing and caused that, it ould be worn out where that gash is, thats just a weak area from the negative cambler, i just did it on my pirelli like 2 weeks ago.

Back