In-dash Tablets

bigboialvin

Reaction score
Just wondering has anyone here replaced their stereo with a tablet or ipad? Pics?

Thanks

SykVSyx

Reaction score
iPad is a little big, I would think.

Would like to say pics of that as well, but I highly doubt that's been done by anyone on here.

For security reasons alone, most people would probably avoid that kind of a mod.

bigboialvin

Reaction score
I see. I thought the ipad would be to big, but I thinking more along the lines of the nexus 7. Seeming as its only $250 and the screen is about the same size as a double din unit.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
If its been done to a 6th gen, you'll find it on this site.

So you would be the first haha if you have fabrication skills I would say go for it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
For security reasons alone, most people would probably avoid that kind of a mod.

Unless they fab a nice housing or something that lets you remove the tablet, leaving just a flat black piece of plastic covering the hole when it's not in the car.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Unless they fab a nice housing or something that lets you remove the tablet, leaving just a flat black piece of plastic covering the hole when it's not in the car.

Yeah, that's an option, and hopefully a bit aesthitically pleasing too.

I don't think it's been done on a 6th gen, but it's not impossible. You'd have to be really good at fabricating, or just have enough cash to pay a shop to do it. A local shop here in Tampa was the first to install an iPad Mini in a vehicle (of course not a 6th gen) last week:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/02/ipad-mini-toyota-dashboard/#continued?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook

I like that, again, just the security issue comes to mind, about having that on display in the car.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
The tablet is removable if security is such a concern, you don't have to leave a tablet in the dash 24/7 (with most professional installations).

SykVSyx

Reaction score
The tablet is removable if security is such a concern, you don't have to leave a tablet in the dash 24/7 (with most professional installations).

Of course, I was looking at their setup that looks like it's mounted permanently.

Back