Installing Radio, HELP

maximus017

Reaction score
I need to say that, this is the first time I have ever tried to install a radio in my car ever...SO please bear with the NOOB!

I just purchased a Pioneer Premier FH-P800BT and the corresponding Metra Harness (70-1720) for my ride. Well I was going thru the Pioneer Harness (PH), comparing it to the Metra Harness (MH) and I have a few questions.

1. The PH has a wire that says Illumination (orange/white stripe) and the MH, has an Orange for illumination and orange/white stripe for Dimmer...Which wire does the Pioneer Illumination wire connect to the harness, Dimmer or Illumination?

2. PH has a Black wire that as Spade connector on it...Do I clip that wire down, and just connect it to the MH or do I find a spot on the chassis to ground?

3. PH has a Blue/White for System Remote Control guessing thats for an amp which Im not running, so that wire needs to be connected to the MH Power Antenna wire?

4. PH has a Mute, but there is no corresponding color or label for any of the lines on the MH...Im guessing I need to leave that alone?

Thats it for now...I dont want to Efffff this up so any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
1. can't remember...i posted it on another forum when the headunit was out. ill see if i can find it.

2. theres big 12mm bolts on the left or right side basically next to the headunit...use one of those. can't miss em :lawl:

3. yes

4. yah

fallout09890

Reaction score
orange/white to orange/white

disregard the labeling...
What ever you do, dont connect the illumination wire. I did that on mine and the small lights fuse shorted out. This is the link to the thread that talks about this topic http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28770 . I dont know why it happens but, connecting it is supposed to overload the small lights circuit and cause the fuse to burn, then youll loose all your dash lights and your parking and tail lights. I suggest that you dont connect it and just tape it off to avoid accidental short circuit

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
dont connect to the dimmer wire (orange). i've had my headunit wired fine since last october or so, and yes, the feature works with the parking/head lights.

i haven't been following the other thread :redface2:

fallout09890

Reaction score

there are 2 orange wires on the harness, one is orange and one is orange/white. Both say illumination. What I did was wire both of them to the Alpine harness' orange illum wire. Could that have caused it, and which of the 2 orange wires is the right one?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the wires on the car "side" of the harness (that is, OEM and metra) are orange/white. what the car does with that signal from the orange seems to be the problem :lawl: on my pioneer, there's a menu for "dimmer" and my pioneer's harness has an orange/white wire.

why they're labeled interchangeably...i dont know :madrun:

maximus017

Reaction score
I followed your instructions, and I am having no problems with my system. After doing this, I cant understand why I payed WORST BUY, to have my prior systems installed...so much wasted money!....THANKS FOR THE INFO!

Back