Jon's BH Outback

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
those tail lights do look much better. led's for the turns will be nice as well, that was one of the first things i had to get for my car to get rid of that orange reflection haha. any plans to debadge the hatch?

kn0x47

Reaction score
Yeah emblems will come off. I think only the outback emblem has studs going into the body which I'll just fill in those holes with silicon

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Came across this today, kinda cool. This is one gen before yours?

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
well i'm been lacking on some updates...

...JDM roof rails won't be getting installed sense the oem cross bars won't fit it.
...gas mileage has gone up. I got 29 on my last trip to atlanta and I now average 24 city/highway
...trying to not mod this car much so my focus is on maintenance/restoration and only added oem options i find at the junk yard

What I've Finished
First thing was removing the ugly aftermarket light tan wood grain kit then I replaced the black window switches with oem wood grain ones
2015-09-02 15.56.18 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

The black plastic trim around the windows was lifting so i peeled it all off and plastidipped it
(no photo)

I ditched the bmw fog and es300 fog light idea and bought a set of morimoto LED fog lights and modified the oem fog light bracket to fit the new fogs
2015-08-01 16.22.34 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr
2015-08-08 15.50.48 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr
I don't like how the morimotos look in the OEM fog light location sense they're smaller and black so I have a new fog light arrangement in the works

I also found an oem bug shield at the junk yard
2015-11-07 22.55.54 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

Current Project
When I bought the car a couple of the front bumper brackets were bent and a fender liner was ripped so I started to replace them a few days ago. Unfortunately that's turned into a several day project.

It took 2 hours just to get the front bumper off. The mounting bolts to the fenders were stuck and I had to cut them off. This required removing the wheels and the fender liners. The bolts for the mud flap had to be cut as well. While removing the torn fender liner I got showered with dirt.

There was a huge pile of dirt/mud behind the fender liner and mud flap in the gap between the chassis and fender which i quickly found out was an ant bed.
2015-11-07 22.00.09 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr
2015-11-07 22.01.04 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

I had to remove part of the plastic siding, the side skirt and unbolt part of the fender in order to get rid of all of the ant bed
2015-11-07 22.46.53 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr
I sprayed ant and spider killer inside the wheel well tonight and then tomorrow I'll be filling up that gap between the body and fender with some great stuff.

Here's how much dirt was behind the fender
2015-11-07 22.46.41 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

Next Projects
Next is installing my new center console (staying tan for now)
2015-11-07 22.53.52 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr
This console adds a second cup holder and moves the heated seat switches so I'm not accidentally turning on the heated seats every time i get in the car and put my cup back in the holder. The arm rest is taller too.

Other major maintenance to do is get the AC working again (the refrigerant leaked out somewhere), get the reverse lights to work, fix oil leak (valve cover gasket) and fix the coolant leak (thermostat housing gasket i think)

kn0x47

Reaction score
Got the car back together today

Here's how the morimoto fogs look on the car. I tried to black out the surrounding but I still don't like it. (the hood is open and i lost the toe hook cover thanks to a 5 gallon water jug in the middle of the road)
DSC_5351 as Smart Object-1 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

Here's a photoshop of how I want the front end to look. I just gotta build a bracket
DSC_5352 as Smart Object-1 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

and here's how the rear tails look with led turn signal bulbs
DSC_5356 as Smart Object-1 by Jonathan Boothe, on Flickr

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Nice progress. Crazy the amount of dirt you found, was this car sitting for a while or something bofore you got it?

That OEM bug deflector is a nice find, I never see those. And it's cool you could swap the center console for a better designed one.

Could you put some black mesh in the fog holes around the morimotos so they look more finished?

The front doesn't look bad with four lights on the grill, but I think it would look better with just the two inner or two outer lights. But maybe I don't understand the Subaru way, haha.

I think the Legacy detail in the tail light is cool because you don't see it anywhere else, so I think blackwrapping the tail but leaving that visible could look good. Probably a PITA though...

Legacy%20wagon_02a.jpg

kn0x47

Reaction score
Nice progress. Crazy the amount of dirt you found, was this car sitting for a while or something bofore you got it?

That OEM bug deflector is a nice find, I never see those. And it's cool you could swap the center console for a better designed one.

Could you put some black mesh in the fog holes around the morimotos so they look more finished?

The front doesn't look bad with four lights on the grill, but I think it would look better with just the two inner or two outer lights. But maybe I don't understand the Subaru way, haha.

I think the Legacy detail in the tail light is cool because you don't see it anywhere else, so I think blackwrapping the tail but leaving that visible could look good. Probably a PITA though...

Legacy%20wagon_02a.jpg

yeah I'm assuming it sat before i bought it. I know they repainted it because it was faded so badly.

I was going to put mesh around the fogs or in front of them but I like the way the oem fogs look better

I thought about making a cutout for the Legacy logo on the tail light but the biggest issue is that the legacy logo is on the most inner layer of the tail lights....there's too much depth between the logo and the outer part of the lens so I think it'd be too hard to line the cutout correctly. I think i'm gonna just leave it alone, partly because if I did wrap it people would think i just got the jdm outer tail lights and not realize the middle light is jdm too

Back