Kenwood vs Pioneer

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Lots of good feedback on this, I'm liking it. Currently I'm running a Pioneer single DIN unit, had it for a couple years, no complaints, but as soon as I get the scratch together I'm thinking the DDX419 will fit nicely, sounds like the audio quality might require me to upgrade my speakers again, can live with that :hihi:

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread... I know. It took me a while, but I finally moved up from my old Pioneer HU, I decided to go with the newer DDX419 (will post pics + red cluster/HVAC swap soon) but can't seem to get the bass levels anywhere near where they were with my Pioneer. I originally thought I might be missing something physical behind the HU, but everything is connected properly and I have played with the GUI interface to little avail.

I am running aftermarket 5.5's and 6x9's, but after reading up a bit more, I think the problem may be the Kenwood only puts out 22W RMS and 50 peak. My question (long winded at that), does anyone with experience, or another 419 have something to mention that I might have missed? asides from going with an amp that I do not want to spend $$ on if unnecessary. If this is a common theme with DVD decks then f**k, I may just suck it up and buy a decent 4 channel.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
You can't really expect a even decent bass range out of speakers. And I think kenwood has some of the highest rms outputs for their hu's.

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
I know most HU's alone only produce moderate bass at best, but the difference sounds at least 50% less than my old single DIN (though far less "muddy" in a manner of speaking, very crisp, noticeable difference across all ranges, sounds WAY tighter and more responsive) I know the speakers can put out a decent rumble at both highway and cruise speeds which is why this puzzles me. I like having the trunk space otherwise I would move back to a sub setup

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Welp, I'm and idiot and impressed at the same time. Figured out my problem on a 6hr drive today, subsequently going through most of my downloaded music. My Pioneer compensated for any inferior track/sound quality by adding moderated levels of bass over everything, therefore "mudding" up the sound a little. The Kenwood does no such thing, if anything, it clarifies the tones. Perhaps it has something to do with the 8x filtering that makes it sound so tight and clear, but when it comes on, it is JUST right, not too much, not too little, so much so, I am glad to have spent the 400 odd $$ on it.

Excellent buy for the audio alone, the DVD and GUI touch interface (near smartphone levels) are nice added bonuses. Bluetooth could be clearer, I'm told I sound like I am speaking through a radio, but altogether, I would recommend this unit to anyone looking for a budget upgrade on their stock or single DIN system that does not want to drop twice the money for integrated navigation.

xx24xx

Reaction score
Don't compare SQ of head units with their internal amps. Personally, I'd never use a head unit's amplifier because you shorten the life of the head unit. Heat is bad, mkay?

Back