Knocking Noise (Rear) when going to bumps or rough areas

reydio

Reaction score
Aloha All,

I purchased a 99 4DR Sedan EX last week. Car is awesome and with 5speed it's a lot of fun. But there is this knocking sound at the rear when I hit some certain bumps. I decided to take the wheel off and check it out. I noticed that there is some scraping on the springs and it looks like there is some wear on the inner tires due to the rubbing or scraping. I noticed on the shock housing, it has a label RH, this is the driver side I am looking at. Do you think they put the wrong shock on the wrong side? I looked at the listing for the shocks and they both have both the same numbers. Later on when funds become available, I want to lower the car with Ground Controls and Koni Yellow shocks.

Dracord

Reaction score
I had this problem awhile ago, and I noticed it was my sway bar endlinks were loose. Probably not the noise unless there is an aftermarket swaybar on there.

You could always jack it up, then bang on various things with a rubber mallet. I also tried jacking up the tires when they were off the ground, as to make it more like they are when they are on the ground (compresses springs, puts everything at the right angle etc) then investigate from there.

night-ryder

Reaction score
Ha! once My left front tire was loose, (****ing pep boys!!) and it did the same exact thing, can you feel it in the pedal?

reydio

Reaction score
I think it's my shocks, they are probably too old. I did check the part number on the shock and it's 52610-S62-A02, the part number on Hondapartsdeals is 52610-S84-A06 which is superceded by 52611-S84-A04. I don't see any damage or loose parts in the rear assembly. I did notice that the wheel nuts was not as tight as it should be. I'll find out tomorrow when I take it out for a test drive.

mxjoe388

Reaction score
lol i had my front left loosen up and i thought it was a wheel bearing so i dropped it at the shop and he called an hour later to tell me it was a loose wheel.so stupid

Reaction score
yea its ur shocks i bet cus mine does it in the front and it sounds like its hitting the housing be yea they are shot jus upgrade ur suspension while ur at it thats wat im doing jus some tokikos and springs to lower it thers no pt in buying oem shocks and the doing ur suspension again to upgrade it lol

reydio

Reaction score
Ok, did my Ground Control/Koni Yellows install this week. Awesome setup........but damn, I still have the knocking sound in the rear. Now, some people have the problems with the rear swaybar bushing going bad and causing the knocking sound. I will replace that today and see if it will solve the problem. I visually checked and did a rubber mallet check on all the arms and they are all intact with no play. Anybody have any other ideas on what could cause the knocking sound?

99F23VTech

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 88 prelude and turns out i jacked it up and took off both wheels and actually tapped on things with a rubber mallet well i didn't notice anything so than i just starting looking around with a flash light and realized a bushing in my lower control arm was shot...

The noise i was hear everytime i went over a bump was like my struts were knocking.. I really don't know how to explain it, but look there and see if your bushing are still good?

reydio

Reaction score
Found it!!!! It's the swaybar "Stabilizer Links". They were actually somewhat loose. I did tighten them and the noise went away, but after a day the noise came back. I bought a new set from NAPA, installed them and the noise never came back. NAPA sells them for about $25 each, Honda Dealer wants $110 for the set. Our cars have them in Front Sway Bar and Rear Sway Bar and eventually they do wear out. Hopefully this info can help other people with similar problems.

Back