Left brake light does not work

xci.ed6

Reaction score
pretty much, I think the split is as the box. If you find the split, you can fix that the same way close enough to avoid extra wires.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
2010-04-12_032522_brake_0000.jpg

monzagorilla

Reaction score
Excellent. now to go digging in the back of my car. Interesting that the cyclops brake light is not included in the sensor. So, if it fails you have to be told by someone it is out.

Thanks for the help.. will check back when I have an answer.

monzagorilla

Reaction score
Winner Winner! Chicken dinner! I found the Brake Light Failure Sensor (we call it the BLFS around here) after removing the left trunk liner. It is on the upper side on the left, high and just forward of where the gas cap is. Wire colors matched, etc. Nothing looked obviously wrong, so I did the only logical thing. I jiggled the connector and wires. And ta da! The alarm is off and the brake lights work. Go figure...

Thanks for your help and guidance! :)

james'99

Reaction score
Winner Winner! Chicken dinner! I found the Brake Light Failure Sensor (we call it the BLFS around here) after removing the left trunk liner. It is on the upper side on the left, high and just forward of where the gas cap is. Wire colors matched, etc. Nothing looked obviously wrong, so I did the only logical thing. I jiggled the connector and wires. And ta da! The alarm is off and the brake lights work. Go figure...

Thanks for your help and guidance! :)

Journal Entry #1: When all else fails, jiggle the wires.

Haha! Well when and if it fails again, you know where to start. Glad you found it!

Sino

Reaction score
I think they bypass the 3rd light around just in case the sensor goes bad. Could also be something to do with the fact that the regular brake lights have two intensities. Not sure how that works, I'm a moron when it comes to electricity.

james'99

Reaction score
I think they bypass the 3rd light around just in case the sensor goes bad. Could also be something to do with the fact that the regular brake lights have two intensities. Not sure how that works, I'm a moron when it comes to electricity.

I'm gonna take a guess and say they bypass it because spoilers get wired to that circuit.

monzagorilla

Reaction score
As Groucho once said... "He may look like an idiot, and he may sound like an idiot. But don't let that confuse you. He is an idiot." Somewhere in the process I misread the manual and thought the UPPER bulb was the brake light. It is the LOWER bulb! Sorry for my foolishness.. my wife is still laughing at me.

I was just about to start cutting and splicing when I did a final check where I swapped the bulbs left and right (of course these are the turn signal bulbs). My wife mentioned neither bulb illuminated when I hit the brakes, but then I inadvertently bumped the turn lever and she said "Hey it's flashing now!"

At least i learned a lot about the wiring of the rear brakes lights... Geez.. I am embarrassed. Major facepalm.

Back