Main Relay Probs :(

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
So after school today I started my car (very hot outside) and it started but stalled within seconds. Right away I knew what was wrong. So I'm making this to see if anyone has had problems with their main relays because after waiting awhile my car finally started. My only real question is where can I find it? I know it's under the dash but Google pics didn't help me. I looked under the dash a few minutes ago and saw a black box with a blue connector on it but I don't think it's the part.. Please help me I'm sick of my car doing this!! Oh and I had the hood open and all windows down while I was waiting. (No sunroof though))

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'd say search as there was plenty of info on this but the links and pictures are broken. Check out the relay pics in my album and see if you can locate it.

cl206

Reaction score
I did replace the main relay in my v6 accord. It was fairly easy. Once you get the part and look under the dash/steering for it, you can see it. Do a search like RR said. I think there might have been a video on youtube as well b.c. I certainly didn't invent the steps. BTW it didn't fix my issue so I kinda wasted $50...

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
I'd say search as there was plenty of info on this but the links and pictures are broken. Check out the relay pics in my album and see if you can locate it.
Found it way up underneath the dash (Man, is it a pain! :) ) Went to O'Reilly's and bought an OE Replacement for around $48 and then some extra socket extensions to get off bolts which was another $15. My dad is going to help me tomorrow so I hope this fixes the problem.

I did replace the main relay in my v6 accord. It was fairly easy. Once you get the part and look under the dash/steering for it, you can see it. Do a search like RR said. I think there might have been a video on youtube as well b.c. I certainly didn't invent the steps. BTW it didn't fix my issue so I kinda wasted $50...
My friend said that if this doesn't work then I might have to try replacing the entire fuel pump, which doesn't agree with my bank account.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Like always, suck, squish, bang, blow, what are you missing?

Relay powers pump and ecm and injectors, if you think that's dead they won't power.

Power is enough to light a spare turn bulb (or an existing, macgyver style) no prob.

shueher

Reaction score
The main relay has a brownish connector to it. Should be next to steering wheel axle under the panel. To take it out you have to stick a "Flat" screw between the relay and the bracket that is holding it. Slowly pop it out so you can reuse if still good. Open the relay up and check for cracked solder points. It doesn't hurt to check. If there is cracked solder point then just add a little more solder to that point. Make sure to disconnect battery first!

shueher

Reaction score
Had a same problem with my accord. I Had corroded battery cable and connectors. DIY job.

blackhawksfan18

Reaction score
Replaced the part on Saturday and have had some rather "warm" weather these past few days. Has started up every time. What confused me the most is when I cracked open the old part all the solder joints were perfect! Some did have like a browish color over the tips of the joints but other than that, no cracks. As long as it starts I'm happy.

Back