Misfire after hydrolock

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
So last Saturday I was driving in heavy rain and hit two larger puddles at speed. The second one was on a side street as the car died on its way out of the water and wouldn't start. Pulled the plugs and cranked and shot most of the water out. Let it dry then hit it with a shop vac on each cylinder. Replaced the air filter spark plugs and oil and after some trying I managed to get it to start.

Once it was started it was running rough with a surging idle and had a flashing cel my scangauge said random misfires in all cylinders but after idling it only showed a misfire in #3.
Will this eventually clear up or did I screw my motor for good?

I've determined it could be a few things like a wet maf sensor, jumped timing, or loss of compression from a bent valve or something.

Motor runs and drives but I can feel the misfire and it sounds like a lawnmower. Any insight on how to clear this misfire and get my motor running right again is greatly appreciated.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
just to inform you on hydrolocking, during the phase where the piston fails to compress the water..basically it loses and you more than likely bend a rod or cracked the head, for starters i would run a compression test on all cylinders if you have low compression likely you bent a rod bro..

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Ditto, compression check.

Maybe no spark to #3, but I am guessing no squish.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Car starts and runs without any ticks or knocks so I don't think the internals were damaged.
I'll probably buy a compression tester and do it myself so I have the tool.
Pulled the plugs and the tips were black and dry. Running rich correct? Could it be a sensor?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
With no mil...

You would be suprised how quiet a engine is with a bent rod.

No spark could also cause this, but you would here it 'click-click-click-' while idleing. The power MUST go somewhere.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
There is a click click click at idle. How do I remove the map sensor? Can't get to the far screw because of the firewall. I have a spare to replace it with from my v6

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Right now I'm thinking the map sensor went bad when water passed through the intake. Causing it to dump more fuel in and foul out the plugs. I'm hoping replacing the map sensor and another new set of plugs will solve the problem.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
There is a click click click at idle. How do I remove the map sensor? Can't get to the far screw because of the firewall. I have a spare to replace it with from my v6

Assuming its an actual screw You may have to get one of those S shaped screwdrivers to fit in the space or if its a bolt maybe a small wrench can help

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
It's two little Phillips head screws. Came off the v6 in a second but the tb is right under the firewall on the i4. Guess I need an S screwdriver or take off the tb then the map sensor

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Yea i would get that screwdriver but whatever you do dont strip it maybe a little pb blaster or some other to lube it IF its too tight..but if you got the time remove what you can to get to it ie..TB at least you know for sure it'll work

Back