Moonroof drain r&r

brian6speed

Reaction score
I have removed the whole moonroof assembly from my car and made a sunroof panel. I did it to remove 30lbs from my car.

I also removed the 4 drain tubes. One goes to each corner of the vehicle. You will need to remove stuff to get at them. My car was already gutted for autocross.

I would think maybe the tube is clogged or a slit has formed in the tube.

Does it only leak when the moonroof is open or is it leaking when it is closed. If it is when it is closed it would almost have to be the seal around the glass.

I noticed ppl on azine with 2nd gen cls have been complaining about leaking in their trunks.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
the sunroof doesnt actually seal when closed.

the trunk sounds like sunroof rear tubes, those should go somewhere in the rear wheel wells (? vws were like this).

brian6speed

Reaction score
I think the cl trunk issues has to do with either the rear windshield seal or that channel right below it. I believe they use sealant there and over time it can wear down and crack. Then water can get inside.

DizzyP

Reaction score
No leaks here but out of sheer paranoia I ran some wire down the front two moon roof drain holes to clear any debris then removed the wires and they came out clean after that I just poured some water down them and it poured out the FRONT part of the mud flaps (the part facing the wheel). I was hoping I could see where the actual hole was to see if my wire pushed out any junk but maybe next time now that I have a decent idea of the location. I always wondered why the slits were there. I had no luck getting visual on the drain holes in the rear end of the moonroof. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
I get some water in the trunk, only passenger side, where the tools go...can't figure it out

cmgreensr

Reaction score
Mine has an aftermarket power sunroof but still has the 4 drains like the factory set up and when I bought the car they were severely clogged. Go to walmart or wherever and pick up bicycle brake cable. Feed it down the drain tube, you will feel the clog. You will have to give it some pressure to break free but it will and the tubes are longer than you think lol. Took almost the entire cable. I haven't had a leak in over a year and it only cost $7.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
There ya go!

a $7 wally fix for a $50 dealer fix (that was a shop trash $0 fix).

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
i tried weed eater line but i dont think it was stiff enough. after a heavy rain i can get more than half an inch of water in my rear passenger carpet area. driver side and passenger side foot wells are forever wet in my car

Back