MSD Ignition

TriNiCorD99

Reaction score
lemme tell bro you WILL def feel the difference with the set up. I have had my set up, cap coil and box, for about a year now and i love it. I decided to go with the 6AL, even though im an auto too, just incase i decide to boost later on. Since i have gotten it i have recommended it to all of my friends and they all love it as well!! Trust me man you will feel it....the car will be ALOT more responsive and it will be more fun to drive. Plus you will see a drastic improve in gas milage. MSD says that you gain up to 25% hp increase on top of whatever you had before.......and i do believe it!!! Oh and one other recommendation....when you go to get ur spark plug wires....just make sure that you get good ones. Cuz when i had jsut gotten my MSD setup i was running stock wires until i got the MSD ones in the mail and it TOASTED them bro!!!! It was pretty bad....but no harm was done. And like i said before get it installed somewhere just incase!!!

FallenAngelHIM

Reaction score
MSD says that you gain up to 25% hp increase on top of whatever you had before.......and i do believe it!!!

so you're saying you got anywhere between 25 to possibly 30 HP increase from the MSD crap? i would like to see a dyno of that improvement before i invest in so much.

white beauty

Reaction score
dude, my personall experience, before the msd fried my ignition system, i had it on for like three days and my car wouldnt start in the morning on the first crank, took like three to four cranks to get it started, and in the middle of driving somewhere, my car would just die, SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A DROP OR HIDS, its not worth it

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I already have a drop, and decided to get HIDs.

But more importantly, white beauty, who installed it for you? Did you ever take it back? How can a good brand like MSD just destroy your ignition like that?

jackhunt321

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the box sucks but they have their fair share of issues including quality. They have a high failure rate - search google.

I had the 6AL box w/ blaster coil on my turbo setup for a year. Experienced ignition break up on top end with it. My tuner originally told me I should NOT have this unless over 600hp. I removed it with no issues since. I would not recommend this.

TriNiCorD99

Reaction score
so you're saying you got anywhere between 25 to possibly 30 HP increase from the MSD crap? i would like to see a dyno of that improvement before i invest in so much.

Well MSD quotes 25% increase andi did a little test run before and after i got the setup installed. Just a bit of a side note before the test story. All i had done to the car so far before the MSD was a cold air intake and headers. So i have a buddy who has a 2001 v6 accord (200hp). Before the MSD he would wooooop me by at least 7-8 car lengths. However after the install of the MSD he would still beat me but only by like 1/2 to 1 full car length. Soooo if i kinda guestimate here i figure im kiiiiinda close to 200hp but not quite there yet

stock= 140
intake= +10
headers=+10
---------------
160 hp before MSD

So i guess it added around 20 or sooooo.....maybe wrong but i think it kinda makes some sence....right? I would have loved to do a dyno to have proven facts but i can only guestimate.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
guessing hp numbers is good to some extent, but the numbers u are stating are way higher than expected... i have a built head, DOHC, cams, all possible bolt-ons and dyno tuned and i'm close to 200 hp or 155 whp to be exact... u should be looking at abt 140 - 145 hp with the mods u have...

as for gains u felt, ur old ignition was prob never changed since the car was bought.. it's true that ignition systems tend to be less efficient after yrs of use, so u prob REGAINED the hp u lost with the aged ignition system... however, u prob did not gain or at the very best gain a lil bit of power from the new ignition setup... hope tht makes sense ;)

white beauty

Reaction score
I already have a drop, and decided to get HIDs.

But more importantly, white beauty, who installed it for you? Did you ever take it back? How can a good brand like MSD just destroy your ignition like that?

i had it installed at a reputable shop in miami, the product was just horrible, since day one my car didnt start properly and it progressively got worse, until one day it just didnt start, took it to honda and they said i needed all new ignition wires and a few other things that ive since forgotten, cost about 400 dollars, that price including a discount because i know a few people there, would have been closer to a grand without that discount

TriNiCorD99

Reaction score
guessing hp numbers is good to some extent, but the numbers u are stating are way higher than expected... i have a built head, DOHC, cams, all possible bolt-ons and dyno tuned and i'm close to 200 hp or 155 whp to be exact... u should be looking at abt 140 - 145 hp with the mods u have...

as for gains u felt, ur old ignition was prob never changed since the car was bought.. it's true that ignition systems tend to be less efficient after yrs of use, so u prob REGAINED the hp u lost with the aged ignition system... however, u prob did not gain or at the very best gain a lil bit of power from the new ignition setup... hope tht makes sense ;)

pretty interesting what you said....makes sence. Like i said wasnt quite sure but didnt have a dyno. Makes me wanna go get it done now just to see what the numbers come out to. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

zitro_pr

Reaction score
Trinicord
I am thinking about this modification .How much you invest $$$ in msd parts and labor ? I have other question how many milimeters should be have spark plug wires?

Back