My 2001 EX Coupe

Jushewa

Reaction score
Hello all. This is my first official big post here on 6GA. I have been a member for a little while now and I've been perusing the site reading different threads and DIYs to try and get a feel for what I want to do to my car. I'm going to use this post to "get my hands dirty" on the site per-say and get the ball rolling'.
picture.php

I bought the car for $2200 CND with certification and e-test. After taking it into a shop to do some check-up maintenance I came to realize the stock exhaust had 3 giant holes in it and the heat shield for the cat was barely holding on by the O2 sensor cable. I needed a quick fix, so I went to eBay and picked up a cheap exhaust for roughly $300 and came with headers and a test pipe. So I drove my car as little as possible until it came and replaced it and put the test pipe in to replace the rusty, holey catalytic converter. On first start up I realized why people don't buy exhausts from eBay. I was literally driving home hoping and praying that Winnie the Pooh wouldn't come jumping out of the trees to come and try to eat my car. It sounded like I was driving with 2000 Asian Giant Hornets behind me (google them, they're scary AF). I quickly realized that this would not do. So I pulled over and quickly put the silencer that came with it in. Yeah, that lasted about 1 km until the welds broke on it. So now it’s just the circular piece.
picture.php

After about a week my buddy recommended I try and find a glass pack resonator to help with the sound. So I went out and picked up a thrush glass pack and CLAMPED it into my exhaust. I drove it like that for maybe 2 weeks and then it fell off XD. I got it welded on by NAPA, bought a brand new catalytic converter and so far that’s been working for me. I still think it sounds a little ricey but I would love your guys’ opinion on the matter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li-PxdBR1fI).
picture.php

I picked up a cold air intake, removed the air silencer (I don’t know the technical name) and installed the V6 hood dampers and this was right around the time where it started getting way to cold and snowing like crazy. This is where I was in my very first accident….It wasn't serious or anything. I slid into the back of a super duty and JUST avoided the trailer hitch. There is a little dent in my hood now and I haven’t decided on trying to bang it out or buying a new hood. I have ordered a Band-Aid decal for the time being just to add some humor to the situation.
picture.php

So that’s the story of my car. I know it’s long but I wanted to put it all out first before going anywhere else. I have a crazy long to-do list that I can add later on. I’m open for ANY suggestions about anything I should do, or any recommendations. Hope to get to know you guys and get involved with the 6GA community! :handshake:

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
Welcome to 6GA!

It's good that you can find humor in your mistakes. Not all mods will go as planned. For the first year of owning my first car it seemed like I'd break something or fry something electrical every time I took a wrench to it.

The exhaust note is lacking depth, but honestly doesn't sound too bad.

As far as uploading pics;

-upload them to your computer
-upload them on this site http://postimage.org/
-copy the direct url
-within your text

Or just click the icon at the top that looks like a yellow mountain range with a sun/moon.

Jushewa

Reaction score
I know how that feels. It's indimidating at first but I could only contain my excitement for so long. And thank you for the picture info. They're now in the thread ! :)

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Paint looks really clean. I love that color red. I really need to put v6 hold dampers on my car. Did you order them from a site or find them at a junkyard?

Aman

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome! Good to see another 6G member up here. Where in Ontario are you, if you don't mind my asking? I travel between Toronto/Barrie.

I have an aftermarket exhaust as well, can make a video for your reference.

Jushewa

Reaction score
Congratulations and welcome! Good to see another 6G member up here. Where in Ontario are you, if you don't mind my asking? I travel between Toronto/Barrie.

I have an aftermarket exhaust as well, can make a video for your reference.

I actually just moved from Barrie 2 weeks ago :p! Now closer to Ottawa but still only 4 hours away :) and yeah sure if you would like. As Varnell suggested I'm trying to find a way to get more depth into it. I don't have a lot of wiggle room on the pipe though so I'm not sure what I'm going to do :facepalm:

Jushewa

Reaction score
yeah thanks a lot! I'm trying to find a way to get some more depth into it to make it less "fart can like" but I don't have a lot of room to work with. I'll post a picture tomorrow of what I mean.

Jushewa

Reaction score
see I already have the resonator in there. no room before the bend and then that little bit before the muffler. Think I could throw another one in there before the muffler? if I do that wouldn't I loose the hangers?

c64b0b318b2ab74b7d21998b1a2cbfd5.jpg
01106cb39ee68eb46ec543e27b4bc886.jpg

Back