My car Got Flooded

ElLoKoV6

Reaction score
Pull the plugs unplugg the distributor before you crank it. That way if there's any water in the cylinders it'll force it out the spark plug tubes instead of hydro locking the motor. If there's any water that comes out I'd suggest draining the oil.

thanks i will put out the plugs before cranking the car up

ElLoKoV6

Reaction score
id suggest (if you have garage) put it inside, get a fan and turn it on, not enough to blow dust around, but to get the air moving. I would then remove coilpacks, and let sparkplugs sit on top of their respective hole without being screwed in (allows h20 to evaporate out, without trash getting it. also, remove you air filter. and leave it out (dont put one in). dont start the car. some people recommend replacing the sparkplug wires and sparkplugs without even starting the car, but thats more expenditure than necessary. It will take a week or so tp dry, but the same thing happend to a buddy of mine, thats what he did for his acura legend.

thank for that info is going to be really helpful, by the way i dont have a garage, but i will follow the best i can, to crank my j30 back again, and for the intake filter ill get a cheap one, do you think the spark plugs would work after taking the water out (if any), becuase i already bought the ngk irodium ix with the ngk plug wires?

eggs

Reaction score
See if the auto parts stores will warranty the spark plugs if you have a receipt

ElLoKoV6

Reaction score
See if the auto parts stores will warranty the spark plugs if you have a receipt

thanks i bought them on ebay for 42.75 the 6 of them, from a seller in cali. is a legit auto parts warehouse, so i guess i will give them a call

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
i'd call insurance and get a different car. this one won't be worth the money you'll put into it to fix it and it will be nothing but headaches.

v6indodarknight

Reaction score
^ x2 and if one day u will sell it... u won't get much money cuz people will know if it has been flooded or not...

go through insurance and total it and get a new one

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I hate to say it, and I know its probably not what you want to hear...but I think the two posts above are right. Unless the car was only worth $1500 or so when you got it.

Mikey

Reaction score
If the interior is wet, that alone isn't worth the hassle. Even if you pull it all out, you'll never get ALL the water out and that'll turn to mold and a bad smell.

001Stunna

Reaction score
+1 on calling insurance and call it quits with the car. The headaches you might face will not be worth it. Plus personally I couldnt put money on a car that'll never be the same again.

If you do have that much of an emotional attachment though...
-Tow the car to a heated garage of yours or a buddys. Rent a storage space if you have to.
-Take plugs out and coil packs, unplug fuel pump fuse and crank engine to eject any water in cylinders
-Take off the seats and let them dry.
-Recommended to take off the carpet as well. If not, buy some moisture absorbent packs and lay them all over the car. When i say all over I mean COVERING the interior floor.
http://www.damprid.com/product/hi-capacity-moisture-absorber-4lbs-fg50t
-I'd change oil/tranny fluid/coolant/power steering and even re-bleed the brakes but if you want to do just some do at least oil and tranny fluid.
-Grab some electronics moisture displacer and spray all connectors in the engine bay
-I'd even consider using it on the inside connectors as you should be letting that car sit for at least a week in a heated environment drying
-Allow it to dry and pray
-Once dry buy some Rust Spray Oil and coat the entire bottom of the car from end to end.

Back