My fellow DA integra friend. No spark.

ey361995

Reaction score
Guys, I figured id just get a second opinion on this. My friend has a 1993 Acura Integra GS 5spd. Its all stock. Recently, he stalled out and now his car wont crank. He has to push start it and pop the clutch to get it going. Now we checked the starter and replaced that so its not the issue. He thinks that something just popped out or blew like a fuse or relay. It wasn't a hard jolt when he stalled so the clutch didn't suffer hardly. I don't now what to do id just like to see him on the road again shortly. ANY ideas would be helpful :confused:

Akingkhan

Reaction score
It's still a honda.

Check main relay and for fuel.

If he's able to push start it it's not fuel related.
Check the main fuse box under the hood it has all the big fuses in it & should be located on the passenger side firewall I'd start there. Was the old starter still good? I know he got a new one but is it all hooked up correctly?
You need to give us more info in order for any one to narrow it down for you. But good luck figuring it out, Ill jump in agin if I think of any thing els.

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
Have to agree that if you can pop the clutch to start it and it will stay running, probably not fuel related. Describe the conditions when it wants to die. Eng temp, ambient temp (out side), idle, under load,ect. The main relay could work just fine when it is cooler and the crappy solder joints inside can still make contact. When they get warm you will get (seemingly) random no starts and die outs. Just guessing here of coarse, but you may also check vac lines. I believe they have a MAP sensor mounted center of the fire wall close to the cowl. A hair line crack in one of those will screw with that sensors reading of Manifod Absolute Pressure, thus won't run right. Good luck.

ey361995

Reaction score
More specific. He tried starting it for me today again. I cant hear anything under the hood but his radio and everything will come on when he turns the key that just lets electric stuff in the interior work. There is no noise when he turn it all the way to start it. He hasn't tampered with the electrics and again, is all stock

Ghost Ryder

Reaction score
That sounds alot like the problem I had with a 90' Civic hatch. Alot of the same relays /electricals are the same through the early 90's. There is a relay that is used for alot of things on those cars.

It is the mulitifunction relay. Here is a little more info on that:http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/mainrelayoperation/badmainrelay.html
-NAPA part #AR726. http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt=ar726&Ntk=Keyword&Nty=1&Dn=0&D=ar726&Dk=1&Dp=3&N=0
-Located under the driver side of the dash, above the "Hood Pull" lever, attached with one bolt to the metal part of the body. Acutally it should be behind the flasher relay. It may not be easy to see-but its there. Example pic. (His may differ slightly)

I can barely remember what I researched for this, but: The relay can impair the cars ablility to start or stay running. This is because the solder joints inside are crap from Honda. Vibration can cause them to make intermitent contact, and ambeint temperatures can cause the solder to expand when warm, or contract when cold. If this is the case, the ignition system will not get the "go-ahead" to fire because there is a loss of comunication in that circut board. Long story short, replace it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

TURBOG23

Reaction score
The same exact thing you are describing just happened to my accord. It would not start, but everything inside the car would work, lights, radio, etc. I checked the starter and battery and they were both good. So I got under the dash and jumped the clutch switch and the car started right up. All you got to do is jump the two wires that go to the clutch switch with a paper clip before you cut anything to make sure that's the problem. If that is the problem simply peel the wires and tape them together. Or go buy a new clutch switch. Hope that helps

ey361995

Reaction score
Welp it turns out the refurbished starter he bought did not work...word to the wise. so he replaced it AGAIN and it started right up :fail:. Shows what happens sometimes with refurbished parts. Thanks you guys for all yur ideas. :peace:

Back