My J32A2/6MT -> 2001 V6 Accord Swap Thread

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, just curious: I'm getting my IM ordered now, but I'm a little stumped on one thing. On the acura IM cover, there is also an actuator bypass valve that is pictured as well, but it is not included on the parts diagram for the 2008 honda cover. It is also not pictured in either parts assembly for the intake manifold itself. Is that a necessary piece?

Nope not necessary. The problem is that the opening and closing of the actuator valve is not coded in the j32a2 ECU. Therefore, we had decided to run the Honda IM cover and it hasn't been an issue.

Jarrett

Reaction score
Not coded? There are 5 wires assigned to the IMRC connector on the J32A2 on the back side of the intake manifold. Those same 5 wires to control the same functions exist on the '09-'14 TL SH-AWD IMRC. It's in a different form factor but that new connector has been used since 2006 on Honda Civics. An easy pigtail to take at most junkyards. People have been swapping these onto 3.2CL Type-S cars for a few years now and have integrated the runner control. If you have the J32A2 ECU, then you should be able to as well. If you know something I don't on the matter, I'm interested.

The '08-'12 Accord V6 cover plate does not use the IMRC feature on the automatic version, but the manual transmission version does have it. Recheck those microfiche diagrams.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not coded? There are 5 wires assigned to the IMRC connector on the J32A2 on the back side of the intake manifold. Those same 5 wires to control the same functions exist on the '09-'14 TL SH-AWD IMRC. It's in a different form factor but that new connector has been used since 2006 on Honda Civics. An easy pigtail to take at most junkyards. People have been swapping these onto 3.2CL Type-S cars for a few years now and have integrated the runner control. If you have the J32A2 ECU, then you should be able to as well. If you know something I don't on the matter, I'm interested.

The '08-'12 Accord V6 cover plate does not use the IMRC feature on the automatic version, but the manual transmission version does have it. Recheck those microfiche diagrams.

First of, I hate those microfiche diagram :Frustrated:

Anyways, I am going to hunt down the explanation why we did not wire it in. As I recall, there was no problem getting it to open, it was just that it would not close. So, we decide to keep it in the open position at all times.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score

OK, here's the official explanation and link.

http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872235

Basically ...

The 09 TL SH AWD intake manifold uses a stepper motor that has position feedback for variable opening angles determined by the ECU.

The 03 Cl-S has a motor that actuates a cable that rotates a spring loaded shaft......power on, motor turns and valve opens, power off.....valve snaps shut and forces motor back to initial position by the force of the spring.

It is impossible for the motor on/off controller of our 2nd gen cars to actuate the stepper motor in the 09 IMRC unit.

As the OP explains, you could wire it in, but it would only open it the first time you go past 3800 RPM, and then stay open after that, since the J32A2 ECU would stop sending the signal to open, believing that a spring would force it back shut, while the J37 actuator would still be waiting for the "close" signal to shut back.

As you pointed out, however, the IMRC is absent in Automatic 8th Gen Accords, so I don't suppose the drop in low-end is that significant. Interestingly enough, check out this link,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_J_engine

and scroll all the way down to the comparison between J35Z2 and J35Z3. You'll notice the engine from the automatic Accord makes 254 lb·ft (344 N·m) @ 5000 rpm vs. 251 lb·ft (340 N·m) @ 5000 rpm for the manual Accord. So there may be some benefit to foregoing IMRC.

Last edited:

Jarrett

Reaction score
Interesting, I missed all of that. Kind of a bummer, too, as I just ordered my '09 TL SH-AWD top plate. Oh well, I can always return it at the cost of shipping.

Styx2015

Reaction score
This is very interesting. Great job on doing your research for your swap though. Obviously it has turned out very nicely!

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is very interesting. Great job on doing your research for your swap though. Obviously it has turned out very nicely!

Thanks, to be honest with you, we didn't know until we tried to wire it in and saw that it would only open and not close.

What did you do with the wiring from the harness to the old IMRC control motor?

imrcdiag.jpg

This is a diagram of the IMRC system on J32A2s ... The IMRC unit is still there, but the IMRC actuator has been deleted.

Back